Tap washer

johnycarper

I hope that someone out there can help me with a tap problem,we have a mono bloc tap the type where it is just a lever top that turns it on and then side to side to change the water temp..It is leaking out the top and having got the top off inside there is what looks like a plastic cog that does not turn but I cannot tighten or loosen it,anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,

John

I had one apart recently, there was a trick to it but cant for the life of me recall, however when it was all exposed it proved to be the ceramic cartridge that needed replacing however on a second leaking tap it was an internal O ring that sealed against the cartridge and only required something tightening, probably the very thing you cant find and I cant remember!!

So persevere!!!!

Thanks Guys I will go back out to the gite and have another look,I was worried it was going to be like most things now a day and that's throw it away and get a new one.It was not a cheap tap as we knew that it would get a lot of use in the gite,so thanks for the advice and its back out I go.

John

I think that looking from the bottom you will find an annular threaded ring that can be undone by an improvised tool which will allow it all to come to pieces, see if it appears loose, if so tighten it and maybe its just that, it was on one of mine, the expensive one.

Hi All,

Got the tap valve out as advised and its a round plastic cylinder with a plastic square spigot out the top.Went to castorama and le roys today and they all say they do not stock,can anyone tell me what they are called in french so I can go searching..

Thanks,for all your help,

John

Cartouche ceramique but now that the price has fallen I havnt seen them sold as spare parts.

Measure the diameter of your one (it is the ceramic part that is leaking isn't it, not the O rings?) and then open the boxes of all the cheapo robinets, they start at €8 so if you find a compatible one it will be far cheaper than a replacement cartridge were you to find one.

Also try soaking yours in a bowl of vinegar, calcaire is usually the culprit.

Thanks for a quick reply we found that water was coming out the top of the tap and it had run down the back and blown the wood on the cabinet.This one has 3 holes in the bottom and is plastic with a three holed washer around them,it could be just the washer gone but think it would be unlikely to get one of those.

John

I've been down this road recently and I am not one for paying through the nose when I know that it's a couple of cents of plastic that is the problem, I like to find a way.  The last problem was a shower valve that had a leaky ceramic disc. Can you just buy the disk? Nope

My advice...buy a new tap, you can pick up something that will do the same for around 15€ and it will last a couple of years. It's not worth the frustration. Life is too short.

I am coming to that conclusion now as looked last night on the internet and managed to find what looks like the valve i need and they ranged in price from 30 to 90 euros,i can get a good quality new tap for that..Will try the local plumbing shops today if not a new tap.

Thanks,

John

Yes good old rip of France,  In the Leroy Merlin at Poitiers they had a board with a range of 15-20 different ceramicc cartridges on it but I guess each branch must do it's own thing.

In the UK they vary in price from £12-29 on average.  The reason you can't buy just the ceramic is they are produced with a matching part and apparently the slightest surface scratch at those pressures produces the anoying leak so the whole cartridge is easier to replace if you can get them which can be tricky as the designs change every now and again to keep up the sale of new taps. [6]

I found out that grit can find its way to the tap and stop the ceramic face from sealing the tap all together. I opened mine, blew and washed the ceramic faces clean, the drip drip had stopped. The vinegar/lemon juice is also a good tip but you need pacience (it's not acid as such and works slowly).

Hi All,

Left it in the vinegar and it seems to have cleaned it well but will also soak in lemon,,the chemical cleaner I find can make the plastic go brittle like it did to an old kettle so will stick with the natural remedies.

Thanks for all the feedback,I hope you all have a great Christmas and a happy new year.

John