MOST ECONOMICAL WAY OF LAYING A DRIVEWAY

Angie

Having tolerated a gravelly drive on a very steep slope for many years we have decided we need a smoother surface to drive on.  However, because of the length (80 metres plus a turning area), we need to consider the cost and was wondering which type of finish would be the cheapest.  Not sure if its just around where we are but the majority of driveways seems to be in concrete (which we don't mind) but are other surfaces available?  Don't think I've ever seen an asphalt drive in a residential property round our way.  Any suggestions on economical solutions would be much appreciated. 

We have just had our courtyard/drive done by a local company in tarmac "tapis mousse" and have been pleased with both the preparatory work, finish and price (320 sq meters). I believe that some of the farmers locally use "scalpings", which is the stuff the motorway people scrape off when they resurface the motor way. This is dumped, spread and then rollered in as it has a residue of stickiness but is obviously not in the mouldable form that tarmac is. Scaplings is what I know it as in english, but it might be worth exploring that as an option local to you with one of the big TP enterprises (like TP Rol Normande here)

The OP has a steep slope driveway; is tarmac suitable for that? Even in the milder UK temperatures there is a tendency for the tarmac to ripple where the car stands or brakes, heaven knows what it would do in regular 30 degree plus summer weather.

Not to mention what any semi-smooth surface will become in winter when covered in ice and snow.

I have a similar problem and have resurfaced with concasse - essentially quarry bottom scalpings.  It moves slowly and will need irregular topping up at the higher levels, but at least it is not an inclined skating rink in winter.

Yes, by gravelly I mean "pebbles" which constantly move.  They were starting to compact nicely but we had a lorry delivery and they churned the whole area up and it hasn't recoverd.  Apart from looking terrible it is now very difficult to get a grip on as all the larger pebbles seem to have come to the surface.  We did actually order calcaire which was what we had down originally; the quarry incorrectly delivered these pebbles in a mixture of sizes and at first they looked rather nice but as stated above 2 years on they are looking awful and definitely encourage more weeds than the calcaire did (even though this time around we had a thick black membrane laid underneath).  

I did think about the possible ice problem we could have with concrete or smooth asphalt.  Might be an idea to go for the asphalt scrapings at the top of the drive and in the turning circle (I'll have to check this out locally as have never seen or heard of them) and top up the remaining steeper part with calcaire which definitely has more grip. Thanks all for your suggestions, much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Another thought. If we remove the membrane underneath the "pebbles" will the gravel sink into the soil and compact much better?  I know the weeds will come up but it may provide a more firm driving surface. We are going to buy some concasse as suggested to top up the whole of the drive in the spring.  Does anyone think this will work OK if laid directly onto soil.  Am so fed up with these ruts!!  Thank you

Angie, that would make the situation worse.  As you have noted large stones migrate to the top so small easily compressed into the soil stones will get compacted but will continue to migrate downwards making bigger ruts.  I occasionally get called out to repair sunken block paving and the common issue is the lack of membrane so the sub base is migrated into the soil.