Is this right?

Angie

The French company who built our house did not complete any paths or access around our house - it is just grass and mud.  The house is set into a hill so at one side the doors from the lounge are quite high up meaning we have to jump down about 24 inches onto our garden! These doors are approximately 30 feet apart and obviously we need to lay a concrete slab in order to get in and out properly (we are currently using an old milk crate at each door!). 

We would generally have just gone ahead and done this but we heard that we needed permission. We spoke to the Mairie who confirmed that we did but that it was a very straightforward process.  However, we have since queried this with our local planning office who confirm that this is the case but also told us that this "access" will be classed as a terrace and it will add an extra 109 euros per year to our taxes.  Surely this isn't right?   They did suggest putting a couple of small steps in (not even the total width of the door) but my husband needs a stick to walk so not at all suitable for him. 

We had hoped in the future to have a solid path/access all around the house but if this is going to add to our taxes then maybe we will have to buy some more milk crates!

If memory serves you could use decking which if not attached to the house as it is considered (well in my area at least) as a temporary structure because it is screwed and bolted together which means it can be unscrewed and removed if needed. We added such a terrace (with a roof) using this method. Cheaper than concrete and tiles to construct i.e. with the roof around 40 Euros a square metre, looks good and we don't have to run in when it starts to rain.

Thanks all for your advice.  Actually we will need to have a slope at one end so perhaps we will also put one in at the other end too.  The decking alternative is also an option which we hadn't considered, so thank you again everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...
I would have thought that with a semi disabled person in the house that one would require a level access as a means of escape! In the UK houses are built without steps for this very reason. Basic human right as another poster said and the DDA legislation came from Europe if memory serves. If that be the case then the house builder may be required to provide level access by law?

Yes, there will be level access from the garden once it is built but we have decided to put slopes in at either end rather than steps as this would, at a later date, provide wheelchair access.

One other question.  We have read through the dossier that we need to complete if we go ahead with the concrete access (referred to as a terrace in the dossier) and it says that if the footprint is less than 20m2 we just need Permis, rather than Permis de construire.  I assume this requires less form filling and is easier to obtain?  Or is this just wishful thinking!

[quote user="BIG MAC"]I would have thought that with a semi disabled person in the house that one would require a level access as a means of escape! In the UK houses are built without steps for this very reason. Basic human right as another poster said and the DDA legislation came from Europe if memory serves. If that be the case then the house builder may be required to provide level access by law?[/quote]

Hi BigMac, thought you'd won independence from us [:)] but good to hear from you, BTW I thinks you are right, building must be made to fit the EU wide DDA or face the consequences.

We would be Independent but for 55% of the country who believed the three Amigos would provide substantive powers ....Of course while the suspense is killing us the Govt continues to borrow a couple of million per day to service debt...wonder where the money comes from....sooner that wall gets re built...:-) ..Nice to be back!