Delivery charges for aggregates

Angie

We have just been given a quote for the supply of 60 tonnes of aggregate (gravel, hardcore etc.) from a company 10km from us. The delivery charge is 600 euros (3 lorries), the aggregates are costing about double this. Is such a high delivery charge normal? We had a whole, very large lorry of sand, cement, blocks, bricks etc. delivered from another company and they only charged 36 euros. I expect to pay something but does this seem exhorbitant to anyone else?

How attached are you to using this particular company ?

When we needed 10 tonnes (one small lorry) of gravel one firm quoted 100€ for delivery but another - where the range of gravel offered was wider - included free delivery in their quote.

My advice is to look elsewhere.

Sue

Given that 10km is a reasonable delivery radius the places round here charge about €25 for delivery, I once had 2 lorries for that price, that was in the very early days and I always collect by trailer now.

Working it out on a price per m3 including delivery basis you are paying €60 per m3 which might be reasonable for a wheelbarrow load but not several lorry loads.

[quote user="pomme"]

Are you asking for anything extra or are they just going to dump it in a big heap?[/quote]

Pomme is right; I remember that we were told if we wanted the gravel in 'big bags' then there would be a charge. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't cheap.

Sue

We thought that if we made a large order i.e. ordered all that we needed in one go that it would reduce the cost for delivery but the more we order the more the price for delivery goes up. No, its loose gravel, not in "Big bags" and they are just going to dump it so we are not asking them to do anything "extra". Not sure I want the hassle of transporting several tipper trucks full of gravel ourselves and really don't mind paying a reasonable delivery charge (was expecting around 150 euros) but this represents almost 50% of the cost of the gravel!! Will be contacting some other suppliers in the area to see if its the norm or whether this particular company are taking us for a ride! Thanks all.