Plumbing problem with electric ballon

mogs

The ballon is now 4 years old.

We've noticed that water seems to be consistently going into the overflow pipe and making a gurgling noise as it does it.

Today we decided to change the security valve to the overflow but unfortunately the problem still persists.

Any ideas please?

You cannot turn down the pressure on a groupe de securité, they are preset at 7 bar IIRC

Are you sure that you are not opening the purge valve instead?

I'm not surprised that the new one leaks, they are pretty crap quality now, its far better to descale the old one with vinegar and remember to use the purge function regularly.

Is your hot water at the correct temperature? If the stat sticks open then the GDS will dribble all the time during HC.

Like Chancer.  If water is flowing out thru the GdS (and yes, it will 'gurgle' when it does), then either:

1) The GdS is faulty.

2) The water inside the ballon is getting over-heated, i.e. the thermostat is faulty, causing the pressure valve in the GdS to release (as it should).

Also as Chancer: unless I've missed something, it's not possible to vary the pressure release setting on a GdS.  They're pre-set at 7 bar.  You might be well advised to read up on how one functions.

P.s After 4 years, and depending on what your water's like and also on how you use the chauffe-eau, you may now need to be thinking about a détartrage, btw.  Oh, isn't that that's always a happy way to spend a morning!

Craig

Hi Mogs,

The only anti-corrosion/anti-calcaire system that I personally know of is a sacrificial anode which is installed inside the ballon.

These are ... kinda successful/ better than nothing.  They delay things, rather than prevent them.

But maybe technology has moved on and you have something else?  Dunno ...

Craig