thing.

Lastly, as I said in my other thread about the electricity, this is

two houses that I’m going to use as one so I’ll have two separate

supplies.  Do any suppliers have no standing charges or not, if would it

be possible to arrange only one standing charge or am I stuck paying

two complete sets of bills?

I don’t want to change it to one supply as I want to reserve the

ability to separate them again later on, when I may not have so many

kids at home and might want to let one house.

Blimey.

You are not the first person to buy two houses and want to convert them into one. You are best to start with the marie and then maybe a nortaire so that the dwellings are legally recognised as one address. Then back tho EDF to tell them that it is one dwelling/one address. They are only responsible for the electricity to the border of the property.

We have one standing charge for electricity and gas from EDF. Yes that is possible.

Boiler does need ventilation and don't be too surprised if you need a new boiler as well.

The gas that supplies your cooker needs a tap usually placed in the 'meuble' next to the cooker. We have 'gas' but don't use it for cooking. We have an induction hob which so much better to cook with. Their is a reason I said that and I will come back to that.

Yes, you can find an electricien/plumber/gas all in one type person who also services the boiler. That is who you want. TOP TIP Always go for the younger guys. They know all the norms and the latest techniques and are a lot quicker and efficient.

Your house will need rewiring I am sure and for peace of mind it is worth it. You now need to work out where you want all your plugs and light switches. Draw a map. Also you need to work out where you are going to put all your white goods (including induction type hobs) that need a direct line to your new fuse box.

Given they are going to cut into all your walls think also about plumbing and TV, telephone, ethernet cables. Do it all at once.

Lots to think about.

Thanks.  The little job of updating the electrics just got bigger then :)

I checked with the notaire before making my offer and it's registered as one address for tax foncieres so he said there is no problem about it being considered as two properties, so no separate tax d'habitation bill.  

So you think EDF  may supply  both houses with gas and electricity and there could be just one standing charge?  Sounds good.

The boilers looked fairly new so I'm hoping they're ok.  They may just look good in comparison to my ancient oil boiler though. :)

I'm considering taking my range cooker from where I live now as I've just been told that there are jets to convert it for town gas in one of my kitchen drawers somewhere.  I could continue to run it from a bottle until I decide what to do with the kitchen.  I'd still need these taps putting on though or I won't be able to put the gas on to use the heating.

So they actually have gas AND electricity artisans here?  I've not found one so far.  Now I know, I'll go and look again.......

A plumber in France is usually if not always gas trained. A lot are trained in electrics as well. Mine does everything and services our boiler. He is quite young and very good at his job.

Just make sure you do everything at once so plan carefully. Take time and think about your kitchen. Doing jobs twice is where you will lose money.

• 4 weeks later...
When you say you're considering bringing your range cooker from where you live now... is this France or UK? I ask only because it is not necessarilly a given that the town gas in both countries is the same pressure. If the cooker was bought in France then the jets will undoubtedly work fine, but if UK? - not so sure. In that case I would check with the technical department of the manufacturer first. Even if it was originally for the UK market, it is entirely possible they also make a version for France, thus the jets being available.

The range I bought about four years ago could work on both natural (town) gas and bottled. It came with instalation and user manual in all Eurpean languages. The ovens are electric but the top burners are gas. It came configured for natural gas and we have bottled. The knobs on the front each had an individual adjustable regulator behind them so I had to change the jets, fire up the burners individually, pull the knobs off, stick a screwdriver through a hole behind them and adjust the flame till the roaring stopped and there were no yellow bits in the flame. The make is SMEG if that helps.

[quote user="Debra"]It's a Leisure cooker, but bought in France, hence being supplied with both sets of jets.  I understand the mains gas pressure in the UK and in France are the same.

[/quote]

On the card I saw there were about five different standards for gas and gas jets: two of them were Butane and Propane, and the other three town gas - mainly pressure differences one would assume. My understanding is that there are (for a wonder!) no regional differences in Metropolitan France, and thus if the cooker was bought over here, then the jets would work fine on any town gas installation.

Unless someone else know different ??? .....