Gas regs

Gyn_Paul

Many of the Bricos have a selection of 'how to' books by the checkouts with the regulations for whichever subject the book covers, but I've never seen one for gas plumbing:

I'm putting in permanent copper from the propane bottle (outside) through the new build rooms, up to an attic water heater.

Obviously the pipework will be bracketed to the walls, but does it need to be sleeved/further protected? If so, in what (type/colour) ?

paul

From the work that I had done on the supply to my cooker was,

All joints have to be done in silver solder not plain solder, obviously no compression joints.

There are two on/off taps, one next to the bottle, one just before the appliance

The holes in the wall were lined with plastic pipe and the copper pipe had its own protective covering. The ends of the plastic pipe were sealed with silicon mastic where the copper pipe appears

The installation was inspected by Quali-gaz and I was given a written report to keep on file.

Hope that helps

I don't know if the regs are the same for bottles of gas as for an outside tank. But I know that for the latter it's one thing the french are very strict about. The gas provider won't fill the tank unless they have proof that the installation was done by a qualified plumber/ gas fitter.

Off topic but allied to it.........

I was always under the impression that a heating oil supplier would not fill the tank ( at least for 1st fill ) unless there was proof of installation by a qualified plumber.

Wrong.

We had our first delivery earlier in the year and the delivery driver was totally unconcerned about any paperwork. He was only interested in pumping the oil into the tank.

Yes, but, your tank was already installed. The tank belongs to the gas company who would have supervised the original installation. They're very fussy about how the tank is treated. We should know, we made the mistake of moving a tank without their permission  - Trouble!

The OP is asking about new connections/ installations.