Complete France Forum

I am really fed up..................

Bugsy

I agree, can't bear it, thank god for Freesat and DVD, can't escape it down the bar either, but imagine if the TV coverage was of mans other tribal belief (religion) [:-))]
Tribalism continues to rear it's head (I'm a mix of the Atrebates and Dobunni) but find their history more interesting than the game playing descendants.[:)]

[quote user="just john "]

I agree, can't bear it, thank god for Freesat and DVD, can't escape it down the bar either, but imagine if the TV coverage was of mans other tribal belief (religion) [:-))]
Tribalism continues to rear it's head (I'm a mix of the Atrebates and Dobunni) but find their history more interesting than the game playing descendants.[:)]

[/quote]

I must be alienated in a different way, my first reaction was to think of  Le Mans when I read " mans" ..

Starting tomorrow ...  [;-)]

I would agree with your sentiments Bugsy but its definitely not everywhere I look or everywhere I listen or even anywhere apart from one article a day on the national news about the French teams preparations.

Are you in England, (or should that be Ingerlund) by any chance?

I have to go back next week and it doesnt sound like I am going enjoy it at all, the world cup seems to bring out some of the facets of British society that I disliked most.

[quote user="Chancer"]Are you in England, (or should that be Ingerlund) by any chance?

[/quote]

No but we do watch Sky and listen to BBC radio.

Thank goodness for ITV 4. Sanity at 200 miles an hour .....................[:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]

I have to go back next week and it doesnt sound like I am going enjoy it at all, the world cup seems to bring out some of the facets of British society that I disliked most.

[/quote]

Some thirty years ago, JRC I was partaking of a refreshing ale with my then close business associate, in our favourite Knightsbridge pub, before dinner.

Unfortunately, this Friday coincided with some annual football match where some Scottish team were meeting England (I think) at Wembley: the West End was inundated by drunken tartan clad oiks, clutching six packs of McEwans. Mein Host asked if if anyone had to leave soon: and then shut and locked the door: whereupon hordes of Caledonian drunks hammed on it, kicked it and cursed and oathed outside!

First and only time I've been locked into a pub!

Thus we begrudingly sank a couple more..........[:)]

Until the raiders from over the border went elsewhere.

An amusing but not pleasant experience.

[quote user="Bugsy"]with this football.
Its everywhere you look, everywhere you listen, football, football, football

[:@][:@][:@]

Let hope it stops after all those grossly overpaid morons lose their first match against the US.

[/quote]

If you don't like the football there is always three months of Big Brother about to start.........

Nurse, more morphine please!!!

I 'm not really keen on watching either Football or rugby or F1 or tennis etc etc..

If you have hubbies and sons , chances are you have to have it on TV, but I ve decided to enjoy seeing men so happy with it, and someti:mes I sit and watch, and enjoy, because happiness is contagious!

[:)]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I 'm not really keen on watching either Football or rugby or F1 or tennis etc etc..

If you have hubbies and sons , chances are you have to have it on TV, but I ve decided to enjoy seeing men so happy with it, and someti:mes I sit and watch, and enjoy, because happiness is contagious!

[:)]

[/quote]

You are obviously a very balanced person Frenchie. Just watch and see what Bafana Bafana means to all those kids and people from the African townships, and this great event is taking place in South Africa. The happiness is catching, everybody there is alive with joy. To the Victor Meldrew contingent on this forum, sorry guys it;'s the most popular sport in the world. But you don't have to watch it, all  tele's have an on/off switch. And as for the comment about I hope the morons get knocked out first round, don't worry Sky,BBC and ITV have already spent your money and will continue to broadcast, England or no England . [:D]

Nice to see a few blokes stepping up to be counted on the subject of hating football, good on yer [;-)]

If you say it amongst 'the lads' you'll likely be asked if you are gay or something which makes me wonder just how many profess to like it simply to avoid having their manhood impuned.

I'm dreading my next offshore trip as every public TV on the installation will be tuned to one match or another and there will be absolutely nothing else talked about all day long.

My trump card is that I have total control over the TV system and they already know better than to upset me.

Oh the power [:D][:D][:D]

Just in case all you football lovers out there had forgotten?  Tonight France play Uruguay, and tomorrow England play the USA. By the way hard luck South Africa today. It was wonderful to see such fantastic support, but exactly what you would expect for the worlds favourite sport. Although I do rather enjoy fishing.  [:D]

I grew up in the north east, and football was very important in our house and our town, and I followed it all keenly. However, I was very pleased to fall for a chap who didn't like sport, after all the 'manly' men I went out with who were sport mad. I still confess to an interest, but not a lot. We have one son who's very keen on sport and one who hates it; the latter's partner is sport mad, plays a lot of football - funny old world!  [:)]

We're in France for another 3 weeks and have no TV, so will know little about it. However, I know Mexico beat S. Africa, as the match was mentioned on TV in a café we were at in Nimes, and I read the result on this forum. I'm sure we'll hear more as the days pass. I'm content with that; I'm not against it all, but I'm glad we're not in UK while it's on. Just a thought - it will be finished in 3 weeks' time, won't it?

[quote user="DerekJ"]Thanks for the warning Nick.  Unfortunately a previously planned important appointment will keep me from watching...  now where are those toenail scissors?
[/quote]

You probably put them in a similar place to where I put my really interesting crosswords Derek. Don't worry they will turn up. [:D]

P.S. GG, Mexico and South Africa drew 1-1

Now look 'ere AnOther, as you is in charge of all the teles, and 'er in doors has turned off the football and is watching Coronation street, let us know what the half time scores are mate? Must say the football being turned off was a bit of a shock, but not as much as that I never knew  Albert Tatlock and Ena Sharples weren't in it any more, Blimey when did that 'appen ! [:D]

[quote user="gardengirl "]

I grew up in the north east, and football was very important in our house and our town, and I followed it all keenly. However, I was very pleased to fall for a chap who didn't like sport, after all the 'manly' men I went out with who were sport mad. I still confess to an interest, but not a lot. We have one son who's very keen on sport and one who hates it; the latter's partner is sport mad, plays a lot of football - funny old world!  [:)]

We're in France for another 3 weeks and have no TV, so will know little about it. However, I know Mexico beat S. Africa, as the match was mentioned on TV in a café we were at in Nimes, and I read the result on this forum. I'm sure we'll hear more as the days pass. I'm content with that; I'm not against it all, but I'm glad we're not in UK while it's on. Just a thought - it will be finished in 3 weeks' time, won't it?

[/quote]

Hi gardengirl,

Mexico didn't beat South Africa it was 1-1

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

Ah Chancer, your return to these shores coincides with a nationwide study being conducted by an eminent Oxford professor. The professor is investigating penis size in English male football supporters and to make for an easy count of the results, any supporter with a penis size of 2 inches or less is requested to fly a white flag with a red cross, from the window of a vehicle.

Don't be misled should you see strings of these flags flying from buildings, as these indicate the location of many less well endowed males who have gathered to seek solace. 

[:D] 

Nick, I obviously read too much into ''hard luck South Africa today''! Didn't think that meant a draw, so just it shows how wrong news can be passed on; I told my keen football-following brother, who's staying nearby. He also won't be seeing it all till he returns to UK on Tuesday, but I expect there'll be plenty of excitement left for him - and no sister passing on duff info!  [:D]

Archived