Complete France Forum

Selling your Xmas presents ..Would you ?

Frederick

No one would want to buy the crap I get given[:(]

Only joking, I got an I pod off Julie.  I now need to go to an optician for glasses so I can find it, it's tiny.

I don't see much problem with hocking unwanted gifts though, the person buying should either do their homework better or give vouchers or even better, nothing at all. 

excuse me, I am still a bit sore.  Everyone asked me what do you want for Christmas?  I told them chocolate or wine, I didn't get a single oz of chocolate and only one bottle of wine.  I can't believe it, no chocolate for Christmas, what it the world coming to?

We did Secret Santa again this year amongst O.H. myself,  our grown-up children and their spouses. Works for us as we all write a list and say what we would like (up to a certain value) and in return we each receive a gift(s) that we really want.

Would I sell my presents on eBay? probably not but if there were some things that others gave me that I didn't need / use I might quietly pass them on to a charity shop after a while.

We have been given chocolates[6] (fatal) and wine by friends.

Cendrillon, I'd never heard it called Secret Santa, but that's what we do every year in our close family. As you say, everyone gets something(s) they really want; I get a big surprise, as I can never remember much of what I put on the list! We don't necessarily all stick exactly to the list, but we mostly do. One of our sons gave me a wooden penguin amongst other presents; not on my list, but he's very sweet.

I've had other things from friends and not very close relatives that make me think those who gave them don't really know me at all, but I do enjoy the idea that they thought of me. Those go to Oxfam or Cancer Research shops, so somebody benefits; I don't think I could sell them on Ebay.

I also had chocolate and wine, both of which are very welcome; but as I put even more weight on during our short stay in a hotel in France which does wonderful cooking, I'm trying to resist them. But the tins of Roses and Quality Street are much too hard to resist!  [:D]

[quote user="Hoddy"]Maybe we had a crossed wire Crossy67 I asked not to be given chocolate this year and I have tons of it; Thorntons, Cadburys and even home-made truffles.

Hoddy[/quote]

I wouldn't mind but my brother in law who is not a chocoholic like my self got a box of Terry's All Gold (my favourite chocolates) and I got smellies.  I am a bit of a conosure of aftershave and have about 40 different ones, the last thing I need is Lynx[:D] I think there was indeed a crossed wire somewhere.

You don't fance a swap of some of your chocolate for a tin of Hi Karate by any chance do you Hoddy? lol.

I try to give appropriate presents, and still believe the pleasure is in the giving, but after that the gift is their's to enjoy as they choose, no longer mine. Choosing is difficult though and more than ever people would just rather have vouchers which I find myself giving a bit against tradition, but their pleasure is more than worth it.[:)]

I have also been known to be cynical and enjoy a laugh but the following quote rings a bell.[6]

When we are grateful for the good we already have, we attract more good into our life. On the other hand, when we are ungrateful, we tend to shut ourselves off from the good we might otherwise experience.[Www]

Have none of you ever heard of Amazon Wishlists ? We update ours pre Christmas, as long as the gift givers actually buy the gift from the link, the item is deleted from the link once purchased thus avoiding duplication.

Alternatively, my daughter sends lists with links to where the stuff can be bought

I had the new Elizabeth David compilation this year, and very enjoyable it is too! My Christmas present to myself was the Le Creuset buffet, shallow caserole - all I have to do is decide what I want to cook in it !!!

It just proves how ridiculous the whole thing has become. Like Sunday dinner, which used to be a treat to look forward to as your one guarantee of a decent meal each week but can now be had daily, Christmas presents have been made superfluous by the ability of people to buy what they want (rather than need) all though the year, whenever they want it.

The worst statistics I have heard so far concern food bought in the UK in the run-up to Christmas. More than half was apparently thrown away uneaten. And recycling centres were quoted as having received over a thousand tons of unsold fruit and vege from UK supermarkets, including mountains of sprouts - funny how we were told only a few days earlier that there would not be enough sprouts to go round as they were frozen to the plants and could not be harvested.

The planet clearly needs more Chancers.

Actually what kicked my Christmas off to a great start was a phone call at 9.30 on Christmas morning to say that my god daughter had given birth just before midnight - a little boy.

Took the edge off dealing with my 90 year old mother who was 'home alone' for the first time ever, despite 4 lots of carers and visits from me and my daughter and my sister and her family. We could have got her out of her house, but not in and out of any car....her favorite gift was probably a replacement illuminated magnifying glass, cost £5.. it's the thought that counts [:)] 

PS Got my daughter the chamois de mister from Halfords.....

Archived