Interrupteur with "temoin" for chauffe eau ?

sid

Is there such a thing as a switch suitable for an immersion heater (say 20A) where the switch has an indicator light ? I can't find anything. We have a chauffe eau which we rarely use, the switch is out in the buanderie in a rather difficult to reach spot. On the infrequent occasions that we do use it often gets left on. I intend to update the switch from the current 1960's-looking contraption and probably move the switch, but I'd also like to be able to see at a quick glance if the current is present. FYI We don't have an heures creuses contacteur on the main tableau and in any case the tableau is a long way from the chauffe eau and not convenient.

I'm guessing that if I ask a French electrician he'll probably shrug his shoulders and say it's not something that anyone asks for (like switched sockets!).

Any ideas?

I use UK switched fused spurs with neon indicator, you are right, an interrupteur voyant either doesn't exist in France or I have yet to find one, I dont need to be un voyant myself to know why, - why would an electrician fit something which suits the Customer when he could charge a lot more to cable and fit an expensive ugly looking light fitting to do the same job!

Eric - yes, I had thought of that, but it's not a very neat solution, however I may have to go down that route in the end! Just call me Heath Robinson.

NoMoss - I've already Googled all the combinations under the sun. When I look at your selection I find that either the item is not available;  the Hager switch for example, which look suspiciously like the MK version that probably Chancer is referring to from UK (exactly what I'd like to have!!). I can't find it in the Hager catalogue. I see other switches, disjoncteurs actually, with built-in LED indicators, but they are meant to mount on the DIN rail in a tableau, which wouldn't be convenient in this case. The solution schemas seem to involve something at the tableau, again not convenient when the tableau is 3 or 4 rooms away.

Chancer - This is really bizarre isn't it! I'm quite pleased with a lot of the French systems for electrics but the lack of switched sockets doesn't make sense to me; if you want to turn something off at night (for example PC and router) you have to physically pull the plug, or go to the tableau and switch off the individual circuit which may have other sockets still operating (lamps... or anything!).  We only use the immersion heater as back-up, the domestic hot water is heated from the oil central heating boiler which runs all year. I'm not getting into a discussion about which is more economic, I've already worked out that ours is economic enough! So, it would be very nice to have a simple surface-mounted switch to do the job, ideally placed near the chauffe-eau.  I fear I'm going to be disappointed.

The absence of any form of switching for sockets etc is effectiveley mandatory because the French wiring system does not respect polarity, unless the switch is a double pole one then there is a 50/50 chance that the neutral is disconnected which has potentially lethal conséquences.

If you look at small electrical appliances for the French market it is very very rare to find one with an on/off switch yet the same article made for the UK will have one, I dont know if thats the case for the rest of Europe with the schuko sockets, some appliances that really should have an onoff switch like a sandwich toaster or hair straighteners have to be unplugged to stop them heating.

That is odd because I don't have a single appliance that does not have an on/off switch - but then I am a tad short on hair to need it straightening and I don't eat toasted sandwiches. Even the soldering iron station has an on/off switch - mind thinking about it, the UK soldering irons fitted with French plugs don't: so you are right, my old UK small appliances may not have a switch.

Thanks for the replies. I've been absent for a few days so I'm just catching up.

I've found this: https://www.elecdirect.fr/disjoncteur/poussoir-voyant/legrand-inter-poussoir-20a-double-fonction-250v-1-no-voyant-vert-412914.html

(double pole, so satisfies the normes) which if mounted in one of these : http://www.materielelectrique.com/coffret-cachebornes-ekinoxe-modules-blanc-9010-p-2134.html 

which contains a DIN rail, and will probably do the job. It's going to be on the wall at the side of the chauffe-eau in the back laundry room so aesthetics are not that important.

Incidentally the second link (materielelectrique) is for an electrical components supplier who have turned out to be really on the ball with delivery; I ordered a batch of stuff one afternoon last week at 14:30 and the parcel was delivered NEXT DAY at 11:00  !! This is the best delivery service I've had since coming here 12 years ago! See, all you other suppliers, it can be done !!  [8-|]