Chimney leak

oldgit72

When it rains heavily we get a small amount of water leaking through our roof where it meets the chimney stack. The base of the chimney is cemented to the adjoining tiles so I can only assume that there are cracks in the cement allowing moisture in. I would rather not go to the expense of having lead flashing fitted if there is an alternative. I am wondering if there is a bitumen type product on the market specially for this purpose that anybody could recommend?

[quote user="oldgit72"]When it rains heavily we get a small amount of water leaking through our roof where it meets the chimney stack. The base of the chimney is cemented to the adjoining tiles so I can only assume that there are cracks in the cement allowing moisture in. I would rather not go to the expense of having lead flashing fitted if there is an alternative. I am wondering if there is a bitumen type product on the market specially for this purpose that anybody could recommend?[/quote]

None of these miracle weatherproofing solutions is going to tackle the basic problem that you have a (relatively rigid) chimney attached to a flexible and slowly sinking roof by a rigid fillet of cement.

The minimum you need is a zinc band de solin but IMHO that is a poor substitute for a lead flashing as even if the zinc covers enough area of tile to seal (most of the time they dont) it is usually sealed to the chimney with yet more cement waiting to crack.

By the time that you have clambered up to apply your bituminous paint any cracks will have widened and detached any loose masonry.

Whilst I agree that stripping back and repairing properly with lead flashing and soakers are the best, seconded by zinc. The miracle paint is not bitumen and is very good. Nine years ago with tongue in cheek I agreed to help on some leaking portico's using acrypol and have continued to use it for certain jobs ever since. I have to turn up on site to review work and it is still as good as the day it was applied.

EDIT: Without actually seeing photos it is very much going in blind though.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="oldgit72"]When it rains heavily we get a small amount of water leaking through our roof where it meets the chimney stack. The base of the chimney is cemented to the adjoining tiles so I can only assume that there are cracks in the cement allowing moisture in. I would rather not go to the expense of having lead flashing fitted if there is an alternative. I am wondering if there is a bitumen type product on the market specially for this purpose that anybody could recommend?[/quote]

None of these miracle weatherproofing solutions is going to tackle the basic problem that you have a (relatively rigid) chimney attached to a flexible and slowly sinking roof by a rigid fillet of cement.

The minimum you need is a zinc band de solin but IMHO that is a poor substitute for a lead flashing as even if the zinc covers enough area of tile to seal (most of the time they dont) it is usually sealed to the chimney with yet more cement waiting to crack.

By the time that you have clambered up to apply your bituminous paint any cracks will have widened and detached any loose masonry.

[/quote]

I agree with what you say about rigid chimney/moving roof but surely with an 'elastic' waterproofer this would compensate for any movement? I can get on the roof, remove a couple of lines of ties and do the job in a day so as long as I buy the right product, I'm inclined to try this first. I can always shell out for a proper flashing solution later if it doesn't work.

If it is just fissuring or porosity then probably a paint, bitumen or otherwise, would do the job but if it is real differential movement which calls for a flashing there just cannot be enough elasticity in a thickness of paint unless it is trowelled on and convinced to ignore gravity and stay in place.

That said I have just spivved up for EDF their substation adjoining my property, it had a cast concrete roof which had cracked through one of the gutter channels, the only way that I could find to stop the water pouring out on my side and blowing my render was to pour hot bitumen into the crack, we havnt had any rain yet to see if it has worked.

Acrypol is generally toshed on roofs as a temp repair costs about £18 a tin and is marvelous sticky fibre reinforced semi-setting gloop.

Not what I would want on my Chimney.

French have for years used a fillet of mortar largely because its easier than thring to introduce a flashing into random stone.

Conventional wisdom round these parts  is a zinc soaker affixed to chimney then tiles then a mortar fillet.

Old French roofs with their half purlin design take years to move I wouldn't worry about flexion over much.

• 6 years later...
First you will need to fix the leak, and afterwards use an insulating product. here i can suggest proPERLA® Water Repellent- impregnation for roofs. get a water repellent, insulated and self cleaning roof http://www.roofcoatings.org.uk/