Termites - Order of treatment

flamesnm

All

I'm just in the process of purchasing a house in the south west. It has a bad termite infestation, but I went into it with eyes open and am expecting to have to have alot of the wood replaced. I've got a quote for the termite treatment, but it's suddenly occoured to me that if we treat the existing wood before we decide what needs to be replaced, we'll be treating wood we may be removing, and then the new wood will also need treating.

So, the sanity check is that I should analyse what needs to be replaced before having the treatment done.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

If it's that infested how do you know you will get rid of every single one? I am with the other two, leave well alone. Here is another way to think of things. With the pound getting stronger against the Euro just over the last two months for every £50k you have to spend you now get about €5k euros more to buy something with no termites. A lot cheaper, no stress and far less work than getting rid of them.

A female that has flown, mated, and is producing eggs often reported to reach a production of more than 2,000 eggs a day
(a termite queen can live for forty-five years) Termites are poor fliers shedding their wings soon after landing at an acceptable site, where they mate and attempt to form a nest in damp timber or earth. Termite colonies typically take at least five years to grow to a size that can damage homes.

In other words there is an established nest where there is visible damage.[:-))]

You are obliged to notify the Mairie of this. If it were me, I'd be looking for something else at least 10k away.
If you have committed then I wouldn't risk using any of the wood, but remove all infected timber, dowse in petrol and set fire to it.

Bonne chance

[quote user="just john "]

A female that has flown, mated, and is producing eggs often reported to reach a production of more than 2,000 eggs a day

(a termite queen can live for forty-five years) Termites are poor fliers shedding their wings soon after landing at an acceptable site, where they mate and attempt to form a nest in damp timber or earth. Termite colonies typically take at least five years to grow to a size that can damage homes.

In other words there is an established nest where there is visible damage.[:-))]

You are obliged to notify the Mairie of this. If it were me, I'd be looking for something else at least 10k away.

If you have committed then I wouldn't risk using any of the wood, but remove all infected timber, dowse in petrol and set fire to it.

Bonne chance

[/quote]

If the bit of the SW the OP is talking about is Les Landes, then the 10Km cordon sanitaire would take him right out of the departement. I understand it's endemic there. Must be all those endless miles of pine.

If it's just the compromis you have signed, perhaps you need go no further.

Just forfeit the deposit if needs be.  It might work out cheaper in the end.

I have heard of badly infested cases where the whole house has fallen down![:-))]

I remember being told of a house in the SW of england with termites; it was used as a test by the authorities on the efficacy of eradication; eventually the house was destroyed as nothing was completely effective. The report and conclusions were not publicised.

Bit like the potato crop in east anglia being infested with root nematodes; one does not discuss.[:)]

• 1 month later...
Holy smokes !! I just remembered I posted on here. Thanks for the information all.

The location is near Salies de Bearn, and termites are pretty much an locational hazard there by all accounts. The house is going to be a back to shell renovation, so if we need to lose the wood, then we need to lose all the wood. The treatment does exterminate the existing termintes and acts a repellent. There's also the option of baiting, I suppose.

Based on the premise I'll be going ahead with the treatment, I'd be grateful for any advice, gotchas, tricks for new players etc on the most effective treatments available. I have a quite from ESBH, who were a recommendation from the immobilier. The recommendation was taken with the appropriate amount of scepticism, but is as good a place to start as any other.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Dispose of termites yourself with Termite Chemical Treatments, for example, Insecticides, soil treatment synthetic concoctions, and exhortation from experienced experts.

Bug And Termite Control in Sydney, If you are hunting down data in regards to don't welcome the wood borers: Best Pest Control Sydney then you have gone to the perfect place.

• 1 month later...