Travellors Cheques

Teamedup

In October I sent 1000 back to the UK in 's via the BP. The total cost to me was just around 25 to the BP and then the HSBC CHARGED ME 6 to accept my 's.

Yesterday I sent 750 back in travellors cheques. These cost me just over 11 for the cheques and the recorded delivery cost over 4. Incidentally the post office would only 'insure' me for up to 450 with colipost, which I did not take. Now all I have to see is what 'cut' the HSBC is now going to take. I'll keep you posted.

Last year when I was in Bethune of all unlikely places I noticed that one of the banks was being rebadged as HSBC ( same logo etc). We currently pay 9 ( say 6 Euros ) for a low value cross border transfer to our French bank account of up to 10,000 Euros and do not pay anything at the receiving end. There is an EU directive that low value cross border transfers will cost no more that transfers within the same country from June 2003.

Might be worth telephoning or writing to your UK branch asking their advice / recomendations and enclosing a printout of the attached :

http://www.hsbc.com.bn/bn/corp/pdf/euroeps.pdf

• 2 weeks later...