Taxe d'habitation

Paulal

I know this has been worn out but I am still very confused. I read an article in French-News which said taxe d'habitation is not payable if you live in your house in france for less than six months and 1 day. We only spend about three months per year if that in our house so thought I would enquire in France whether we should have paid the tax.
I contacted an English agent in France who told me - yes you do have to pay. I read threads on this which all said no, so I wrote to the Tresor Public and asked. I got a letter back advising yes, because the house was furnished at 1st January we do have to pay.
So, does ANYONE know whether the answer is yes or no?
PaulaL (very confused)

The advice which we received from our Mairie some years back was that this tax is payable if the house is "in a livable state". So that if it is "finished and furnished", then tax is payable by the tenant resident on 1st January, or by the owner if unoccupied on that date.

• 3 weeks later...
Further on this topic... I read in December's French News that if you don't normally pay tax in France - then you are not actually liable for tax d'hab. We actually rented for 3 yrs and paid tax d'hab and then we bought in July 2001 advising when asked that we paid income tax in the UK due to the nature of my husband's work (he's a journalist and we have a dispensation to continue to pay tax in the UK for 6 yrs) - on asking where our tax d'hab bill was this year they said we weren't liable (so we just shut up and didn't argue... but didn't find out the reason why we weren't liable....) now I'm wondering if it's because we don't pay income tax in France... which means all those holiday homes shouldn't be liable either... I'll stop babbling now... any enlightened answers gratefully received.... or else it's a trip to the Tresor Public and what happens to our last 3 years of tax d'hab we should or shouldn't have paid?
Wendy
Gard
www.chateaukeyboard.com/wendy