uk pension

Somnus

I receive a British state pension and have for the last five years. I have received the annual increases. I believe this might not be the case outside the EU. I believe pensioners in Australia do not get the increases.
Hope this helps

ian

If you stop working before 60 and have paid 39 years (I think) contributions the governement will make up the 5 years between 60 and 65 - but not if you are living outside the UK - how fairs that?
Also if you have a private pension the tax free lump will be classed as taxable in france.
Keith

• 1 month later...
We have had recent experience of this 'qualifying years' situation with reference to the UK state pension. My husband retired from a Government Lab in January at the statutory retirement age of 60. His pension forecast from the DSS tells him that he has paid contributions covering 41 of the 43 years necessary to qualify for the full state pension which he will receive at 65.If he meets certain conditions (which include not spending more than half a tax year abroad) the missing years will be automatically credited to his pension account. We have checked and anywhere outside the UK - including the EC - counts as abroad for this purpose.Depending when we move to France this may or may not be significant, and the amounts involved are small (about 1 - 2 per week) but no-one wants to miss out on anything unles they have to.