TVA on New Build

We are having a house built by a large organisation in the Charente Maritim. Some of the works, for instance the ground works, are sub contracted to another company whose bills always include TVA. It was my understanding that there is no TVA on new builds. Am I wrong?

We would be most grateful for any information anybody can give.

There is no VAT in the UK on new builds. There is TVA at 19.6 percent for work and materials on new builds in France. If you have a new home built and sell within 5 years then you will have to pay 19.6/119.6 per cent of the proceeds less the TVA you have already paid to the government even if it is you only house.

Some repair work carried out by artisans such as exterior rendering carries VAT at a reduced 5.5 % which is which you see many French New Builds unrendered for a couple of years. 

I assume you have agreed the purchase price for the new house. At the end of the build you will receive an invoice which will be the agreed price and will be inclusive of TVA.

Your contract for purchase should indicate the TVA content of the contract. 

What area of charente maritime, ?

ams

Do you know it?

We agreed the price for the house build some time ago and we are very happy with all of that. I just got confused between the UK and French systems  when I saw the TVA on the sub contractors bills. That is the only time I have seen TVA through the whole process.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

passed through it many times but never stopped, as we were always on the way to the airport, looks like a nice town with some fine buildings.

Normally at the end of the contract you will receive your guarantees and a full list of every person that worked on the construction.

ams