Retiring to a mobile home

Laine

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this. We have lived in France (renting and working) for ten years and the only thing we could afford to buy would be a mobile home. I know that 'trailer parks' are popular in the US, but I've never really seen any reference here (Vaucluse). Retirement isn't quite yet, but money will be tight!
Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers,

Laine

I used to work in a housing association for elderly people in the uk and a lot of desperate people applied becaue they were unable to cope with their mobile homes, whether because they were falling apart or because the people were becoming less able to cope with life in them - while they would have been able to cope perfectly well in "normal" accommodation.

Why don't you continue to rent a property, after all, more than half of the french population are locataires which is ideal when you want to change your job,downsize or upgrade depending on your circumstances. Several Parisiennes that I know say that no one buys property there in the city because of the cost and everyone rents,even upto the time they die of old age. Personally living in a tin box,even if it is a luxurious one,would get me down and especially in gales and very cold weather and as for maintenance,not exactly easy to repair either.