Cash Withdrawal Charges??

Jec

Noticed on the last statement from Credit Agricole that I appear to have suddenly started being charged 1 euro for withdrawing cash from the supermarket machines. Anyone else had any new bank charges?
Julie

Until about a year ago you could use any banks card in any banks machines.

However the EU decided that to promote the Single Market it was not right that banks should charge their customers anymore for drawing money from a machine when they were abroad, than they would pay for a withdrawal in France, after all a euro is a euro.

The banks didn't like this potential loss of income, so they decided to introduce charges for using any machines other than their own, whether inside France or not: There is more than one way to skin a cat!

I notice that Soc Gen published their new charges from 1st July, so I suspect that CA may well have intoduced their new rates at the same time. If you took out a Soc Gen Carte Bleu after 1999 you are allowed one free "Foreign" withdrawal in France after that it's 1 Euro a shot. They usually notify these changes in the guff that comes with your statement.

All this makes it even more important to choose a bank with a handy branch!

• 1 month later...

So far, I have had no charges for cash withdrawals from the machine in our village although it is not, strictly speaking, a CA machine. It is actually located in the outer wall of the Post Office and has been financed by the Regional Authority and the (2) financial institutions in the village, including CA so it is available to all users. Not sure if someone with a card from a bank which did not contribute will pay.

However with the way French banks charge whenever they can, nothing will surprise me any more. Just stand up to them!

Andy (83)

I saw a warning on British tv a couple of nights ago from Abbey saying that British banks were back to charging for withdrawals from other banks machines.

The amount shown was £1.75 and they reckon that because the average withdrawal is quite small this would be a 7.5% charge!

Banks are banks the world over I think. Why don't they realise they are a charity! 

[quote]I saw a warning on British tv a couple of nights ago from Abbey saying that British banks were back to charging for withdrawals from other banks machines. The amount shown was £1.75 and they reckon t...[/quote]

Not quite true. The machines that generally charge and  have become increasingly common are the ones found in newsagents and convenience stores around the UK. I have yet to find a Bank or Building Society ATM charging. In fact Link Link who run the UK  cash machine network have ruled last April that fee-charging machines must have either stickers or on-screen messages warning users that they are about to be charged. If one sticks to the Banks or BS machines and there are plenty, no charge will be made and most unlikely in foreseeable future.

The full news report can be found at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3673936.stm

Baz