tax habitation

Mickey

But how would one prove that a house was not inhabited on that particular date? We received two bills today - one for a derelict house we decided not to renovate and another for the second house we purchased that was in the process of renovation on the 1st Jan. Do you think a letter from the builders would suffice in the second case? There's no electricity, water, sanitation or anything in the first and it has been empty for 25 years!

Initially just tell them. If they want proof they will tell you what they require.

[quote]My daughter received her tax habitation demand today for her house in deux sevres. The house needs total renovation,she does not live in the house.Should she pay the tax habitation. She has paid the t...[/quote]

As I understand it, she needs to complete a "Demande de renseignments" (literally a demand for information), from the Taxe d'habitation people (her local Tresor Public). I would talk to the TP now, as she only has until 15/12 (ish) to pay the bill or pay the penalties.

I've no idea what happens if she pays, then is entitled to a refund....

Talk to the Tresor (or even her Mairie, although they are likely to refer her on - ours would.)