writing those french cheques...

hoverfrog

with all the complexities of adding 's' '-' 'et un' etc, the OH and I have produced a small computer application that you enter a number and it gives you the french text.

Only available for OS X at the moment, but if there's any interest we can port it to other platforms!

you can download it from the link at the bottom of this page:

http://homepage.mac.com/the.sanctuary

It's amazing what you can do when you're waiting for PlatformBuilder to build

Port it, port it, port it.

Anything that fellow members can assist with - even down to writing a cheque correctly - I have no doubt will be greatly beneficial and appreciated by those who are currently moving to France and have to go through this experience for the first time.

Although I cannot see this programme (Micro$oft user), well done and well thought of.

Thank-you for the kind words!

well it's all the OH's 'fault' - he's not as good at french, so I sent him the URL for the rules to numbers and he said I'd have to write all the cheques! He then decided to write a program. He's the low level / systems programmer, and I'm high level / GUI, so I decided to put a GUI on his commandline application!

Cocoa first, but probably Java next...

Im baffled. I use cheques all the time but I very, very rarely write one. In almost all shops the cheque goes through a machine as it does at the petrol station. Bills come pre-printed with my account references because once long ago I sent a RIP (RIB for thos with a bank and not La Poste) to the authorites concerned. I can't remember when I actually had to write a cheque myself.

And in any case surely, surely people can learn a few numbers!?

Liz (29)