Family allowances

Rob G

Hi there,

We are trying to work out what allowances we will be entitled to for our family when we move over to France later this year. We've been told that these kinds of allowances in france are generally more generous than in the UK, but having done a bit of diggin I'm not so sure.

We have two children, aged 10 and 7. As far as I can see we would be entitled to the "allocation de famille" which for two childern amounts to about €113 per month. Everything else I can find is means-tested. This does not compare well with the UK, where we currently get child benefit of about £110 per month, plus about £40-worth of family tax credit per month. Is there something I'm missing here, or are the benefits in France not all they're cracked up to be?

Also I was told there is something called an "allocation de rentree scolaire" to contribute towards the costs of buying school materials at the start of the school year. Does anyone know how much this is, or where I can find up-to-date information about it?

Thanks,

Rob

I really don't know what they say about benefits in France anywhere else. What you have said sounds right though. Although from about 11 or 12 the family allowance does go up and again when the eldest is around 15 or so. Never by a fortune but an increase never the less. Stops when the eldest gets to 20 and is still a charge...... as long as both kids are still a charge.

A few years ago the family allowance was means tested and not everyone got it then. However, they did stop that.

The rentree allowance is also means tested and we have never had it.

In fact most things concerning benefit here are means tested.

Hi,

It's the one thing I found was better in Ireland than here (I had 2 kids in Irl, and receive roughly the same amount here following birth of 3rd child). However I'm told that it's in tax free allowance that you benefit mostly here. Up until now we weren't working but, since this week my husband is working and will receive his tax allowance, mine, plus 1/2 per child i.e. 3.5 in total. Hope that makes sense. I think it will mean we will pay no tax I'm also told you can receive other benefits as "une famille nombreuse" but I think that's for 3 children, and am not sure what the benefits are yet (cheaper rail travel is one I believe, but I can't see myself hauling the kids onto the train for another while yet!).