Tax on minimum wage?

SaligoBay

Next year, for the first time, I'll have some French income to declare on our tax form.  Up till now there's only been my husband's income.

Will the 2 incomes be added together and taxed as a whole?   Or will I be allowed my own tax allowance?

I'm earning so little (15 hours a week on minimum wage), if I get taxed on it as well, it'll be hardly worth working!  

B******ds!!!!!!     No wonder there are so many people unemployed and/or working on the noir.   And I was SO pleased at working at last    but I could end up paying for the privilege of doing menial work for people richer than me.     Merde merde merde.  

Well, hey ho, that was a bit OTT, nesspa, but I'll leave it, because that's EXACTLY how I felt last night!  

So, a quick recap to see if I've got this right....... as a mere married woman in France, I apparently don't exist as an independent entity.   As a result, my meagre earnings (about 4000 euros a year) will be tacked onto his earnings and taxed?   It doesn't matter that it's ME who did that work, that I personally earn way below any taxable threshold?

I was serious about the travail noir, btw, I understand exactly why so many of my French friends and neighbours do it.  And it has to be said that a clear conscience doesn't pay the bills!

Yours, SB, aka the Goods&Chattell of HimWhoIsStillAsleep. 

Hi,

I know it looks bad, but for how ever many years you and your husband have been living there without you working, you've had the benefit of a double tax allowance.

As I understand it, all income for the household is added together and split by the number in the family unit - 1 husband, 1 wife and dependants counting as a half each.  You are then taxed on 1 unit, which is then multiplied by the number of units.    So it will still go that you're both entitled to 4,242 tax free, then you'll both be taxed onwards and upwards for the relevant bands/rates. I think overall it's a good system, it's just that it looks a bit depressing if, like yourself, you decide to get a job then realise that you'll pay tax on it.

I could be wrong though - which no doubt another member/administrator will point out.

Look on your tax form for this year and work it out as if you had worked last year. There are reductions before tax is paid on your income, perhaps including transport rather than the 10 or 20 percent that are reduced immediately. Which ever was the transport reduction then the other percentage is taken off.

So no, they do not tax everthing.

Naps is right. Having paid on my own and now with my husband we definitely benefit, overall from being married compared to when we just lived together, as he earns more than me. If we earnt the same amount it wouldn't really make a great deal of difference. I think the only way to pay appart is if you have certain separation de biens marriage contracts, but generally the system is advantageous if you are married in my opinion.

Look on your tax form for this year and work it out as if you had worked last year. 

Right, done that!   Yes, our tax bill will go up by about 900 euros, if I work my 13 hours a week, bringing in 6.40 euros an hour.

Which means that I'm working for 5 euros an hour.   Slave labour!!!

What a fine system - I feel sooooooo motivated!    

Thank you for those wise words. 

However, there is a French element here.  As that young lad said to Chirac in his TV appearance a couple of weeks ago, not only are there very few jobs, but for the few there are, there's no incentive to work, and people are forced into travail noir just to earn some money.

That's all - you should thank me for doing this research for you! 

Actually, I think my work is worth more than 3 pounds an hour, but it's either that or do nothing.  You can talk about choices, but for many French people, that's the reality. 

Bonne journée.  Mine is très bonne, I have the day off.