Protection juridique

SaligoBay

Do you pay this?   How does it work?

It's suddenly been added to both our car insurance and house insurance, both with AXA.

I paid for it with the car insurance, but now we have a threatening letter in about not having paid it with the house insurance as well.

It's over 50 euros for each policy.   Is it normal to pay it twice, or are they having us on?

Why can nothing be simple in France? 

My understanding is that it is insurance for legal costs.

Some years ago I remarked to a gathering of colleagues that our opponents had a highly trained well qualified Barrister advising them that they should win the case...  And guess what our guy was not saying we had a snowballs's change in hell...  well one of them was wrong but as they were both being paid irrespective of results it is rather hard to decide which. 

Ask them how you ordered the protection, what oppertunites you had in opting out of cover. Given that they know you English is you native language what information did they send in English. Advise then that you believe you were seriously mislead.  A legal judgement in France does not result in costs therefore insurance makes more sense than in the UK

As Anton says, it is "legal protection insurance". It is not compulsory, but, lilke any insurance in France it is difficult to cancel - 2 months notice in triplicate, with details of shoe sizes, etc. I believe that the law on this is about to change...

You don't have a lot of luck with insurance do you?!

You don't have a lot of luck with insurance do you?!

Don't start me on the "luck" I've had since moving to France!!!!!!!

I used to be a reasonably competent and able human being.   Really, I did!   I could tie my own shoelaces and everything.

Hi there,

Your insurer is not allowed to add options to your insurance contracts without your agreement, unless you have signed something of course.
So just send him a registered letter to ask him to remove the option and to refund you if you already have paid for it. If you have your car+household insurance to the same company you are already quite a good client and so they need to take care a bit more about you!! i'm quite faid up with the behavior of some of my compatriots who consider that the foreigners are "drawers case"!!
Well, send me a pm if you want me to help with the letter in french, i have some draft already done for my clients.

Take care

Sabine
www.en-toutes-saisons.com