Travellers Cheques

Jmp

Whilst doing some research today I have come across the following statement - "in 2002 the Banque de France stopped dealing in foreign currencies and therefore no longer accepts travellers cheques." I've seen it in several sources, although none official.

It's many years since I've used travellers cheques and I wonder if anyone can clarify what this statement means or even if it's true. I can't find any info on the Banque de France website.

Does it mean that only Euro travellers cheques (as opposed to foreign currency travellers cheques) are now accepted in France or no travellers cheques?

Any help with this gratefully received.

Travellers cheques were discussed in last Fridays BBC travel programme. Although they are still available their popularity has diminished due to firstly the cost of purchase and secondly the use of the hole in the wall cash machines or cards. In my bank they are only accepted if you have a bank account and not otherwise. Other than security the trend for most people  is either using cards or cash these days.

Baz

When the euro came in the the Banque de France stopped actual trading in foreign currency at it's guichets to the public.

All you do now is go to La Poste and order anything unusual, often the main branches have travellors cheques and some currency.

The Banque de France used to be the cheapest place to go and I used to use their services quite often. Now I use La Poste rather than my bank as they have been cheaper too.

It depends why you want travellors cheques too. I have always taken them to the States and Canada. I would hope that La Poste would cash travellors cheques though, I haven't asked them if they do, but I will now

My bank accepts Euro T/cheques across the counter but if you take in Sterling cheques they give you a receipt and send them to the area office who credit them to my account a few days later;I usuallly transfer money into my account using TIPANET thro' my Co-op account-don't know if other banks use this system but it's quick and cheap.

I was asking from the point of view of a visitor to France rather than a resident. Personally I have credit cards coming out of my ears and a French bank account but then I’m mature enough to handle them. A friend, on the other hand, sent her student son abroad last year with a credit card and will regret it for some time to come. As he’ll be visiting France next month I wanted to be sure that travellers cheques are still accepted.

So it seems that Euro traveller cheques are still accepted but I should advise them that he should cash them at a Bureau de Change or La Poste rather than a bank.

The statement that I had read was so vague – should it be interpreted to mean that foreign (non Euro) travellers cheques are not accepted anywhere as the Banque de France do not now negotiate them.

Thank you all for your help.

Teamed Up – If you do find out if La Poste cashes travellers cheques would you post here?

I will post when I find out, which would be the end of the week now as my itchy feet are taking me off on some travels for a few days. I must say that it would seem unreasonable to be able to buy travellors cheques but not to be able to cash them at La Poste. I think that this is an interesting question.