Unwanted £'s

Roli

Why can't I change £s?

Are banks and Laposte right to refuse the £?

I have carried £50 around with me for 2 years, I haven't bothered about it too much but every now and then, when I remember I ask a bank or post office to change it...All have refused.

Yesterday I decided to definitely get rid of it (as it's getting quite tatty) and took it to my own bank (Banque Populaire) and asked could I pay it into my account or would they send it back to UK. They wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and looked at me as though I was quite mad (it's true but they don't know that).

It has started to get up my nose as I feel this can't be right somehow!

Roli

I don't know how current they have to be, I brought these back with me just under 2 years ago. But as I don't even get the chance to put them over the counter that can't be the problem. Sometimes it's Non! before I even get them out of my purse, the mention of "Sterling" is usually enough.

Roli

I think that ever since the introduction of the euro, most banks have stopped changing foreign currency. I got stuck like this in the Languedoc a couple of years ago and had to make a trip into Narbonne to one specific bank that was able to do this. Unfortunately I can't now remember which one. I think that after trying several banks, somebody eventually told me where I could change them. It took quite a lot of enquiring to find out. Sorry this isn't more help.

I don't quite understand why you got a 'non' from La Poste, afaik they are the only place we found to exchange sterling. They introduced a charge of 5€ per exchange from 1st July this year. When I asked why I was told that as none of the other banks were interested in exchanging £s they were going to make some (extra) profit out of it.

Perhaps as nearly everyone now uses cards to withdraw euros from cash machines when they are here they do not bring £s with them?

Sue

I have tried quite a few Laposte over the last 2 years and had the same response, I would have thought my own bank would have to take it. I will stick it in an envelope and send it to my Mum, but I still can't understand why they refuse and is it only Sterling or all foreign currency? Anyone would think I am trying to change Indian Rupees or Gambian shillings or whatever they are. (Sorry first things that came into my head).

Roli

Hi Roli

I am still at a loss to understand your lack of success exchanging your £s for euros at La Poste. When we arrived here in March - on extended holiday - we brought some reserve £s with us. We always changed them at a PO - even very tiny ones seemed happy to exchange £s - and we had no 'non' at all! 

I exchanged the last £s in July - that's how I know about the 5€ charge!

Sue 

Did they just say 'non', no explanation.  It was in a small town near St Malo a week before the actualy euro currency came in that I had some notes refused by La Poste, but the rest were exchanged no bother.

Main offices of La Poste took over from the Banque de France after the euro came in for purchasing currency and travellors cheques, so I do not understand why they won't.

Hi,

i don't see any reason why you can't get your £ change into € moreover when you want to change them in your bank

Anyway, the place where you are sure to not been taken back is in the nearest "Banque de France" from your place.So i hope you have one not too far away and then you will sort this crazy story out

Good luck!!

Thanks All,

There is a Bank of France in the nearest city, I didn't try that before but I did try another bank in the city some time ago and La Poste...both refused. I have asked what I should do with them, sometimes the banks suggest La poste, sometimes La poste have suggested the banks and sometimes as in the case of my own bank I have received a shrug of the shoulders (who gives a ....)

From all of your replies it seems they may not be right to refuse but how could one argue they would just claim it to be their policy. As it is a small amount I will send it to Mum, but it is none the less irritating.

Roli