Date for payment of non-residents tax

alnmike

Hi!

Hopefully my first tax return was received in Paris before the end of May. I am now wondering when I will hear how much tax I have to pay, and when I will have to pay it for?

In addition, I completed a UK tax form with the pages for overseas income and I entered the amount of tax paid that my financial advisor said I would pay - 'micro' regime - but now I'm wondering if that was correct, as the UK return was for 2005/6 and I hadn't actually paid any tax in France?

> Hopefully my first tax return was received in Paris before the end of May. I am now wondering when I will hear how much tax I have to pay, and when I will have to pay it for?

Ours turned up half-way through August. It says payment has to be made before 15/9/06, but that they will actually direct debit it on 25/9/06. I seem to recall that in the first year that we did a declaration, they only sent the assessment AFTER the date that it was due to be paid. We just paid immediately and then set up direct debits subsequently.

[quote user="alnmike"]
In addition, I completed a UK tax form with the pages for overseas income and I entered the amount of tax paid that my financial advisor said I would pay - 'micro' regime - but now I'm wondering if that was correct, as the UK return was for 2005/6 and I hadn't actually paid any tax in France?
[/quote]

You were correct.  You had accrued the French tax liability during the UK 2005/6 tax year.  The fact that it's not actually due for payment until now does not matter.

Fair!!! In fact, for my little bit of income/tax I'll try and go it alone next year. (then they'll change the rules, but hey-ho!) Am now wondering how cheeky it would be to ask for monthly payments next year, and whether there is a minimum they allow [:)]

Llwyncelyn - did you get a letter from them a couple of weeks ago, which after assistance from the forum, I confirmed meant the tax office was moving late August? If you did then at least they know about you!![;-)]

Have you filled a return in before?

This is our first tax return and it was somewhat late but with the D'Impot approval.  Had an experte comptable do it for us so deposited the documents about the 14th of June.  We have deposited what the accountant says is due so no problem with payment.  I just want it out of the way and to establish we are here so to speak.  No correspondence from them at all.

Our tax affairs in the UK were cleared before we left but we have investment property there plus numerous bank accounts due to my previous professional some investments here in France plus a number of bank account and savings accounts.  I am beginning to feel that someone is looking into my background.  I have nothing to fear but just want it cleared.

[quote user="Llwyncelyn"]Our tax affairs in the UK were cleared before we left but we have investment property there plus numerous bank accounts due to my previous professional some investments here in France plus a number of bank account and savings accounts.  I am beginning to feel that someone is looking into my background.  I have nothing to fear but just want it cleared.

[/quote]

Sounds a bit dodgy to me, too......[;-)]

I don't think SD was really suggesting anything, the wink sort of gave that away.[:)]

We haven't received anything back yet, it is our first year and we too have a UK as well as French bank accounts. Perhaps, they save us newcomers til last.