Credit Agricole - Britline

Tony the Turner

Thank you for that link on ' minitel' - interesting.... especially when we finally manage to move out to France as we won't have access to a computer because we won't have any electricity to start with either.

Also, unless I misheard today on the BBC 2 Working Lunch program, Credit Agricole are trying to put in a bid to buy Alliance & Leicester . I don't think therefore that ordinary Cedit Agricole customers need to worry at all about their money in the bank. Not sure how the Britline fraud investigation is going though. There must be some safe guards on money though in France (?)  because if you ask in any bank or building society here in the UK about the rights of having your money returned to you in the event of the bank running into serious cash flow problems, then there are limits (say up to 30K initially, but then a percentage of the remaining balance)- but I don't think folk should panic/ worry about it though as someone said on this thread that the French are somewhat delighted in a way that the fraudstaer is English and so they will probably make an example of him to discourage others.

Thanks again for the minitel link!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Tony the Turner"]According to the Ouest France,  the head (English) honcho of Britline is presently on trial for extensive fraud.  The alleged booty is €400k or €650k depending on whether you accept the prosecution or defence version.  The accused admits the fraud but claims he was blackmailed and/or suborned to do it.  He is due to be sentenced on 30 May.  The French press have taken great delight in stressing that he is English!
[/quote]

Dear Tony,

Any latest news on your original thread?

• 2 weeks later...
According to Ouest France on 7 June, Mr Gray got 3 years suspended and was ordered to repay €279439 to CA.  The latter were claiming he had salted away €600k+ but VG admitted only €463229 of which he got only €279439.  The balance of €160k he alleged was paid over to a blackmailer he was afraid to name!

He was also forbidden to exercise any banking activity for 3 years!

Yes Club 95 is one and the same person and who advertises in all of the French/English mags back home.  Does make you think that whilst they cannot be everywhere you would think they would check their sources for his adverts takes money to help you fill in your tax forms!  Lynatics and asylums comes into mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Credit Agricole is not  an alliance of farmers savings schemes. It is a regionalised mutualist bank. There is no difference between Credit Agricole and any other bank in France.

I have an account with Britline and they are the only branch that have a dedicated english speaking service that actually works. The fees you pay are no different from those in a local branch either.

[quote user="Marseillan"]

I have an account with Britline and they are the only branch that have a dedicated english speaking service that actually works. The fees you pay are no different from those in a local branch either.

[/quote]

That's wrong I'm afraid - I've got an account at their totally English branch called Paris Direct International, held at the HQ in paris! And the fees are lower in paris than in the calvados region, due to the competition!! eg. I do not pay for direct debits like you do with britline!

• 2 months later...

Thought it worth reviving this topic for those who may have read the feature on 'hand holding agencies' in the current edition of Living France.

To whoever it was who said that the person they dealt with at CA Paris's competitor to Britline was a very nice man - I'm sure he was. I have met the former Britline head mentioned in this topic and in the article mentioned above, and he too is a very nice and very plausible man. Such people usually are.