Taxe d'habitation shocker !

Lindnarden

This year is the first year we have paid habitation and fonciere - I was under the impression that the fonciere should be the greater  of the two...in fact our habitation bill is 50% higher [8-)] than a not insubstantial fonciere bill - is this normal ??

We have never filled in a tax return - I don't know if this makes any difference, oh and we live in 87.

look forward to any input.....

cheers,

K

If you are living full time in France you may get a reduction on your Tax D'Hab based on the information you give on your tax return. In the absence of a tax return you pay 100%.

Incidentally if you are living full time in France you ought to get on with submitting a tax return, if you volunteer, even late, you will probably avoid any penalties. If they catch up with you they will levy penalties. You need to submit a return even if you have income fully taxed in the UK( Eg a Civil Service pension). It also makes it esaier to calculate your contributions for healthcare once the E106 runs out.

And it helps establish your residency for capital gains purposes - a bit of a double-edged sword, but in general it helps to be French resident when sellling a house.

Don't forget that the taxe d'habitation includes your TV licence.

Cheaper local taxation, compared with the British Council Tax, used to be one of the attractive things about France (though there were always local pockets where taxes were particularly high). It does seem, though, that taking into account tax d'habitation, taxes foncieres, taxe professionelle (where applicable) plus additional charges for rubbish collection etc where they apply, the difference now is somewhat smaller, to say the least. But on the other hand things like electricity bills, which used to be far higher in France, have generally come down in comparison, which just goes to prove that comparisons are useless.

I agree - I keep meaning to do a tax return but can't get round to it...I have however noticed that the base figure upon which the tax habitation is based is exactly double that of the figure used for the fonciere - perhaps I'm being charged for two years worth as I don't recall paying anything last year (for either come to think of it)

The amount for televisual fun and giant woofers on the current bill is zero - I assumed this was some kind of political commentary on the quality of french television

No, its just one year's worth of tax. The base value for the taxe fonciere is set at 50% of the rental value of the property. For the tax D'hab its based on the full 100%.

If they haven't charged the TV tax you must have sent back the form saying that you have no TV set in the house.

I'm a good boy and always fill in by tax return and declare everything and my tax habitation was 44€ plus the telly (got it today). I still have to pay the full Tax Fonciers or whatever it's called. I find myself so much better off paying tax in France than in the UK plus I sleep very well at night.

So the fonciere is based on half the amount of the habitation but still is supposed to be more ??

If I go down to the tax authorities and ask to fill in a tax return for 2005 (I didn't bother as my 2005 income was zero) what do you think are the chances of:

a)  them letting me

b) revising my habitation bill to impecunious pauper levels

[blink]

[quote user="Lindnarden"]So the fonciere is based on half the amount of the habitation but still is supposed to be more ??

If I go down to the tax authorities and ask to fill in a tax return for 2005 (I didn't bother as my 2005 income was zero) what do you think are the chances of:

a)  them letting me

b) revising my habitation bill to impecunious pauper levels

[blink]

[/quote]

The answer probably depends if you became tax resident in 2005.

Benjamin

Tax update - Having thrown myself on the mercy of the tax office, I discover them to be charming and helpful....... I complete a zero income tax return for last year having admitted my huge erreur handed it over to the chap with much hand shaking and lo and behold I get an adjusted bill a week later with my habitation reduced from 730€ to 147€......

Yip dee and indeed hoody - were I to wear a hat it would be in the air. [:D][B]

Thanks all for your advice etc..

Looking at out bank account online this afternoon (and thinking how

nice it would be if the computer in the bank accidently moved the

decimal point on the balance one place to the right and then forgot

about it) I realised that the €427 taxe d'habitation had still not gone

out, despite the due date being the 15th Novemeber. So I phoned them

and checked whether they'd got it. "Oh yes," said the Nice Lady "but we

won't be putting it through for another week..."

Who is running this country? Have they never heard of cash flow?

Unfortuanately, before I could question the Nice Lady further the baby

kicked off and so I bade her farewell.

[quote user="Lindnarden"]Tax update - Having thrown myself on the mercy of the tax office, I discover them to be charming and helpful....... I complete a zero income tax return for last year having admitted my huge erreur handed it over to the chap with much hand shaking and lo and behold I get an adjusted bill a week later with my habitation reduced from 730€ to 147€......

Yip dee and indeed hoody - were I to wear a hat it would be in the air. [:D][B]

Thanks all for your advice etc..

[/quote]

We had our first Td'H this week and I had budgeted for an amount and thankfully it was less.  Am I correct in assuming if you haven't earned any money for 2005 you get a reduced Td'H???