tempo

Wilko

It has been such a mild winter that they probably haven't made a lot of money out of it this year - we've only had 3 red days and a handful of white so far - fewer than this time last year. I don't know if they have stopped it for new customers, but I think you do have to have a minimum kw supply to qualify for it in the first place, it isn't available to everyone.

The Tempo tariff for business users is no longer available for newcomers. It was stopped when the business market was opened up to competition. The residential version is still available  but it will be interesting to see what happens later in the year when the domestic market is opened up.

As far as this years red days are concerned, don't worry they still have plenty of time.... Such as next week if the promised cold weather arrives.

Easy to forecast that the whole of next week is going to be Red Days (i.e. 5 on the trot!)... which means doing the laundry, roasting the chicken, doing the ironing and the hoovering on Sunday, after having bathed in very hot water for a long time.

Then on Monday, out come the candles, no toasting, no microwave, no kettle, no oven use, and strip-washing.

That's the only way to outsmart them[:D]: to hold your breath until the following Sunday!!!

Is that quality of life or what??[:D]

Ofcourse that is exactly what we were told was supposed to happen. I have no idea who told us that, but it is logical.

We took EJP when it first came out, they stopped taking new customers in 1998 so I am a very very old hand at red days.  For the last 10 years I have had natural gas central heating so have constant hot water. Gone are the days when we would boil huge pans for baths on gaz rings when we had guests staying and wanted a bath, for there was no way in the world I would have put the electric water heater on on red days.

In winter we live around the possibility of red days. I am careful when I invite people over for dinner as I don't use the oven. I will do all the electrical using jobs on a Sunday and I don't even hoover on red days.

I would imagine that I would be equally as vigilant with tempo.

What is EJP??? Sorry if this is a dumb question[+o(]

I am sure we save a lot through having the tempo option - especially since I am being such a hardliner with red days - nobody comes to the house for a meal then, and not even a cup of tea, I am more likely to go to theirs or spend the day at the Mediatheque[:D]

So far, EDF have said nothing about withdrawing the Tempo option. They will probably wait until winter is over, and THEN tell us that no, we cannot have all the cheap blue days throughout the summer -

My wife is always going on at me because we use Tempo and she thinks that it may not be a cheap as it looks. I have created a spread sheet and entered all my units used over a two year period and then used the current figures from the EDF website to work out the costs less local tax.

I have a 60kva (60 Amp) supply and being a B&B I will use more electricity than most. So what I have done is totalled two years worth, added two years standing charge and then divided by two to get a yearly average. The reason for this is to ensure I get a winter in for the Tempo system.

The results are quite interesting and not what you may first think and are below.:

Tempo ā€“ 2,404.05ā‚¬

Off Peak ā€“ 3,918.68ā‚¬

Normal ā€“ 3,634.83ā‚¬

The most interesting thing is that Off Peak appears to be more expensive but then we donā€™t have storage heaters so it could be a bit of a red herring. But then to change I would have to ripe out what I have and fit storage heaters which, using the Leroy Merlin website, I have calculated will cost around 6,500ā‚¬ including installation or more. My friend has them and to be honest they run out about eight oā€™clock at night so he has to use extra heating. I donā€™t know how much his extra heating costs but he has around the same amount of wood as me so I would guess at about 400ā‚¬

The other thing is that on red days we donā€™t use the heating but wood and paraffin instead which costs around 600ā‚¬ per year but added up itā€™s still cheaper than being on a normal tariff.

The Standing charges are the hidden costs in France and in my case (60kva) they cost as follows.:

Temp ā€“ 552.79ā‚¬

Off Peak ā€“ 1,336.34ā‚¬

Normal ā€“ 837.38ā‚¬

If I was starting from scratch I think the way to go is to have Tempo running storage heaters plus an insert fire with ducted warm air heating running from it.

If anyone wants to see my spreadsheet then you must email me (not PM) and I will attach it by return.

Chris,

This tallies very closely with an analysis I did a little while ago. We have three gites and two pools working across the spring/summer/early autumn, so our demand is outside winter. During the winter we use mostly wood with gas for cooking. Against the normal tariff I reckon to save between ā‚¬1000 and  ā‚¬1200 per year. Not to be sniffed at.

5-element, EJP was a contract that was brought out for individual and business users. The abonnement was very cheap in comparison to a normal contract. We would have to put up with 22 random days from 1st Nov to 31March, never weekends or bank holidays. On these days electricity would be expensive for 18 hours from 7am until 1am the following morning.

Apparently the EDF were not making enough money with this and introduced Tempo instead. For those of us with the contract we could keep it, but if we want any changes at all, then we lose it.

I'll be getting my bill soon, so am not sure of how much we are being charged for the time being.

So, Tempo is EJP, but with a more expensive abonnement? And maybe, red days are far from "random" with Tempo: you can predict almost exactly when they are going to occur, just have to watch the long weather forecast very closely. Of course, I like to think I could out-guess "them", but there is no way!

Having said that, I can say (without looking into the exact figures) that we are saving quite a lot through having this Tempo option.

Re-reading your post, of course it is NOT the same as EJP at all! Red day still has heures creuses from 22.00 to 6.00 the next day, and heures pleines for the rest. Not this 18 hours stunt!

Do you also, with EJP, have the little meter that warns you at 8pm in the evening, that next day is going to be red?

No we don't have a little box to warn us. I think that we could have got one at some point. We have pretty well always had a number to ring the evening before the EJP day, they would update it around 18h or19h. These days ofcourse it is on the web, so we know well in advance.

It has been strange over the years really with regards to when we have had EJP days. Sometimes it has been very cold and we have had clear days and then it warms up a bit and voila, we are on EJP. One year they didn't even get the 22 days used, we only had 20 days by the 31st of March. Can't say I am terribly keen when we have 5 days de suite, but we just get on with what we can using as little electricty as is possible really.