Tax Registration and Tax returns in France

BluegrassFreak

We arrived in France in Feb 2006. This is now our Main Residence. (No property in UK).

The Cenre for Non Residents UK have all the necessary forms P85 etc.

In the middle of last year I visited the local Tax office to submit the FD5 and  was told to return it in May of this year 2007.

Question 1. Will I also have to submit a tax return to the French Tax office in May for our income in 2006? even though I may not have a French tax registration number at that time. (not sure how long it will take them to issue this following sumbmission of the FD5).

Question 2. Will I qualify for a Tax rebate on the purchase of reversible air conditioning in 2006, even though I was not registered for tax in 2006 ?

Question 3. Will I qualify for rebate of all tax paid in UK since Feb of 2006 ? (this assumes I will be paying tax in France from Feb 2006)

Question 4. Where can I download the necessary French Tax forms (and what are they?) prior to submission?

Question 5. Is anyone aware of an English speaking accountant in the Narbonne area ?

Grateful for any help received in this matter.

You will have to submit a French tax return this year, and pay tax in France from the date you became a resident.  When you get your rebate seems to vary.  My tax office here in France insisted that they would not sign the FD5 until I had paid my first (part) year's tax so I did not get the rebate until September of the year following my arrival.  Others have not had this problem and have got the rebate before the French tax return was processed.

You will qualify for a rebate of all the tax paid in  the UKafter the date your residence changed - it may also be adjusted for the time before you moved, within the same tax year, if it affects the tax bracket you fall into.

Accountant details here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/838485/ShowPost.aspx

read down the thread as the address has changed.  He may not be local but can help you over the phone/internet/fax etc.  Very good.

Here's the French tax calculator

http://www3.finances.gouv.fr/calcul_impot/2007/simplifie/index.htm

You'll find the actual form somewhere on this site, but you can get a copy from your local tax office also.

Note : the above is just based on my own experiences, the accountant will give you chapter and verse though as they are used to dealing with Brits moving to France.

1.  You submit your first tax return in May 2007 for the 2006 tax year.  In your case, you declare your income for the period February to December 2006. This is also when you give them your FD5.  Your tax registration number will be issued when they've calculated your tax due and it will show on your tax avis (the bill) which you will receive around September 2007. This is when they stamp your FD5 and return it to the CNR.

2.  You incurred the expense during the 2006 tax year so you include it on your 2006 declaration.

3.  Once CNR receive your FD5, you will receive a rebate of all UK tax paid since the date of your arrival in France. If you have a pension, then CNR will amend your tax code so that your provider can pay your future pension gross of UK tax.  If you have savings accounts, then you should also arrange for future interest to be paid gross.