Water Rates

the wee p

[quote user="peggy"] do you have to pay for your water in france?[/quote]

affirmative - and double if you are on mains drainage and so do not have a 'fosse à toutes eaux'. I don't know about elsewhere but we all have metered water here.

Sue

Contrary to what is held to be a common notion, it is not cheap to live in France. Same as anywhere else really or, perhaps, more than some places.

do you have to pay for your water in france?

Yes, it is metered and health care is not free either, you have to pay for that too.

Having read your other posts,  sorry but you do seem to be incredibly naive about France and what happens here considering that you have already committed to move here and bring a 2 year old child.

Instead of worrying about taking a sofa to the dump worry about what are you going to live on and if you can afford to live here  If you are thinking of working to support yourselves with little French you will not have French employers or anybody else queueing at your door will you with 10 -15 % unemployment amongst native French?.  I would seriously think this through and start by doing a trawl through the tax, (yes you pay that here too) and the legal and health sections, then fire away with specific questions.

Straight to the point kind of person are you, well maybe i do seem naive but i have been researching what living in france actuall entails for a little while and everything you have to do is a little vague, so i might be a little to inquisitive regarding some matters but at least im showing an interest, the water rates had never came up before as im from scotland we have never paid water rates, and yes were trying to find out about my husbands tax etc, im just asking general questions that i thought this forum would help me with, we arent planning to move unitl the beginning of next year there for i think i can ask all the silly irrelevant questions i want. 

Peggy just to clarify some points.

Water rates paid six monthly,best by direct debit (prélevément) and contrary to some people's views, some regions are actually cheaper than rates for water paid in certain UK areas. Its a case of being sparing where you can and everyone is metered in France. Mains drainage is more expensive than having just a fosse septique and incoming water.

µTelephone and electricity bills for residents are usually two monthly with a compulsory look at the meter both for water and electric at least once per year. You can opt to pay monthly a fixed amount if you are on a pension for example and know what you have spare. Electricity is expensive but then if you have no piped or tanked gas or fuel heating and only convectors to back up a wood burner or chimney it evens out the winter month costs.

Your taxe Foncières and Habitation are payable at the end of each year and the Habitation is the property tax based upon your income and property value etc and the other is the commune tax for street repairs,lighting,school etc.

There is no road fund tax here (vignette), you pay insurance for your vehicle and if over four years old, an MOT (contrôle) every two years.

The TV licence is included in your taxe Habitation and regardless of what you watch, if the set can receive any signal you pay

Property insurance in mandatory and should include responsabilité civile etc.

School insurance is compulsory too.

A mutuelle top up insurance to pay the other half of the health cover is recommended.

Finally, finding employment especially in the sticks is very hard for foreigners even with fluent french. If you are depending on a job to live, choose where you settle and try and find work first. I would suggest if you are worried about a permanent move, rent for a year first and let your UK home to pay the mortgage there.

Creditors can enter your bank account and have it frozen if you do not pay your bills.

You cannot get credit or loans without proof of income from employer or self employed from your accountant and then no more than one third of your monthly income. Hope this answers a few questions, after 18 years I still discover new things.

Val is dead right, but there is another alternative if you are in the boondocks. You may have water from a well, in which case it is free except for the costs of pumping it. There may be a charge for disposing of it, however.

If you have a well be careful - you will need to get the water tested for potability. Ours turned out to be diluted cow cr*p!