Mon dieur!!! A good banking experience!

nickinorthez

Well unbelievably I've managed to open up a bank account at a branch of Credit Mutuel where the staff smile and are happy to see you! After trying a few banks where the welcome was more frosty than a delivery of Scotch at an AA meeting, I nervously went into the Credit Mutuel bank to be met with a smile! At which point I fainted with shock and the local doctor was called!!!  I can't speak highly enough of the staff here, the main desk was manned by a lady who not only looked happy to see you but was absolutely stunning and looked like she just walked off a Paris photo shoot! She asked me a few questions then called her manager to verify exactly what I needed to open the bank account seeing as I didn't have  any utility bills, he was very friendly aswell. I made an appointment and everything was very easy. I know its different here with having to pay the monthly charge but I really didn't mind given the wonderful service. Of course it did help that I tried my best with my French and I think this is the key anywhere in France, don't ask if anyone speaks English just try and communicate with whatever French you know, a smile and a laugh whilst trying does wonders to break down the barriers. I know its very hit and miss with the banks in France and I may have just been lucky but I thought given the bad press many of them receive here I should relay a more positive story. Of course I've just opened the account so I don't know what will happen in the longterm but for now it really was a nice surprise.

Good on you Nick

I had a simular experience, I had tried a couple of banks with sentances written down that I wanted to ask. I tried really hard with my limited french and smiled alot[:D] But twice we were rudely treated so twice we walked out. Then we went to Societey Generale where although none of them spoke english they took the time to try and understand me. The manager came down from her office and opened our account with us. wrote down all the information we needed for access to get into our account online. We returned the following week and our check  book and credit card where waiting for us, again the same lady came down from her office showed us how to fill in the cheque book and checked we were ok with every thing. took us out side and showed us how to use the cash point, and as we left she apolagised for her lack of English , we were gobbed smacked. We went into a little chocolate shop next door and brought her a little gift wrapped box of chocolates and took it back to say thankyou she was very pleased. When we go in to pay in money months inbetween she still says hello and uses our name. That is real customer service[:D]           

[quote user="Pads"]But hopfully if they where polite and trying to speak english that they would be treated with some curtsy unlike the first 2 banks I tried, Although this thread was to celeabrate good customer service not to harp on about the bad ones [:)][/quote].

Don't know about the UK, but we've had (quite well-employed and rather well-off) French friends who got quite a cool reception from US banks.  And they spoke good English!  I think the problem stems from the difficulty of getting credit history records for people from other countries.

We were quite fortunate when we first came to France in that we were introduced to our local Credit Ag banker by one of his good customers.  That really smoothed the way for us.

We too had an introduction to Credit Ag from a friend in the village who accompanied us to open the account and it all went very smoothly. It took a couple of years to get rid of some of the unnecessary charges but all very good humoured.

Very relaxed in our village as regards banking - our friends are able to go in and sort out any problems - few and far between - and pick up cheque books, debit cards etc. - Would not be allowed by UK banks without a lot of rigamarole (probably rightly though!)

Andy