Vast fonciere increase

nephilim

We moved into our barn conversion last March and paid via the Notaire 10/12ths of the 2006 fonciere bill - total for 2006 was €138. The prev owner gave us a copy of the 2005 bill - total €136. This year, our bill is €421!!!!!!!!! Looking at the bills, the prev 2 were made up of a percentage of the 'Base' figure in the 'Taxe ordures menageres' column only, but this year is made up of this column plus figures in the 'Commune','Department' and 'Region' columns. These 4 together making up the 421.

Is this normal as the increase came as a bit of a shock. I think the 2005 bill was the first one as the barn was completed then. Are you given 2 years at a lower rate?

Also, does anyone know how it is calculated as neighbours and other people we know nearby have said that theirs is much lower?

With a new property, and that would include a conversion, you don't pay the increase in the  Fonciere for the first two years.

There is also a tendency for new-builds to be rated higher than what would seem to be comparable properties as the updating of the records (the dreaded Form H1) captures everything which has been "overlooked" through the years on other properties. Also as the rateable value (expected rental value) of the property is assessed on the quality of the accommodation, there is a natural tendency for the house to fall in the higher categories, as it will have things such as second and third bathrooms, central heating which are relative luxuries compared to the older properties. 

I had the same issue, quite recently, and there is another similar post.

In essence, the increase was almost identical to your own.     We had added a bathroom (what luxury !).   Upon enquiry it transpired that the house had not been re-rated for around 30 years.    I can only assume that 30 years ago our property was not listed as having electricity, water, or anything else for that matter.    Thus, although all of those services were here when we moved, we were the ones who effectively declared their existence by completing the form we had been sent honestly.   My French neighbour told me (his opinion of course) that basically France is a self-declaring country .... and that nobody does.    Thus when it comes to our turn, and we do, we get a bit hammered.

According to my fonciere bill my house is the dogs b*****ks compared to my surrounding neighbours.   In reality my house is so far below the standard of my neighbours, even now, that the whole thing is laughable.

However, we have taken a deep breath and paid up.   It's a shame - I don't mind paying, but I would like to think that there was some equality in the situation and that I was actually paying the correct comparative rate.      As I said on the other post, if I were a buyer now I would try to find out the last time the house was 're-rated' for want of a better phrase, because this will give some indication of how much increase you are likely to have when you declare that you have gone all up market and put a fosse in, and a bathroom !!!

There are changes being discussed at government level about this matter.

The choice being on offer is either a revalue of the rates or an obligation for the dreaded H1 from to be part of the house purchase paperwork.

The second solution is being considered, as it would clearly do away with the consequences of undeclared improvements being discussed here, which I have been subjected to myself!