taxe professionale

Frogslegs

Received a bill  Taxe Professionale recently stating our old siret number. We deregistered as a business two years ago but still run gites as a micro bic. I sent the form back stating we no longer have a siret number. Now we have a letter to see the tax lady in Melle (if you have ever met her you will understand why I am aprehensive in meeting her again....think Anne Robinson on a bad day).[+o(] Would we be charged this tax? ( I think it was for 300 euros) if we are just a micro bic?[8-)]

Hello

It's a case of professional versus non professional micro bic.  You can run gites as a non professional micro bic but only as a side line, not as your main income, if it's your main income you should pay professional tax and all th other associated cotisations (URSAFF etc.). 

So she will want to see your other income streams to judge this I guess.

Incidentally you would still have a siret for a non professional business..

Panda

Thanks for the replies. We have paid the Taxe d'habitation and this year is the first in 6 that a T.P has been sent. The chambre de commerce have never informed us that our gite business was only to be run as a sideline and not to be our main source of income! I do find that hard to believe, but will take into consideration all comments. 

Hi

If it is your main income then you would know about it with cotisations starting at 3.5k it's hard to miss! It could be that your pension is higher than your income from a gite, quite possible, it is then not your main income. 

without knowing your set up I can't comment but to see the professional versus non professional info do a search on here, it's been discussed many times.  From my own point of view I did have a gite and this did have a siret but was listed as non professional, I had to fight to have it this way, the tax office wanted it to be professional but as I have aonther business with a higher income I had an argument and was able to have it listed as non professional, same goes for the flats that I rent out.  I therefore do not pay any cotisations ( URSAFF etc.) on the income from the gite (when I had one) or the flats and do not pay professional tax on this income.  I do however pay full cotisations on my business and pay professional tax which was this year 600ish.  All of the three individual items are set up as micro's but only one is listed as professional.

I guess with all the health issues this is being looked at more closely as many people will WANT their gites to be listed as professional, that way they can pay into the health fund when other routes fail.

Panda

[quote user="BJSLIV"]If they agree that you are not liable to the Taxe Professionelle you will have to pay the Taxe D'habitation instead![/quote]

Am I being thick I don;t understand this!  why would one lead to the other, if you have gite(s) then you pay tax d'habitation on them what's the professional tax got to do with it??

That's interesting I never knew that.  I used to pay tax d'hab on the gite but  it was registered as  non-professional so that would be right then.  The other issue must be when you come to sell, if it it registered as  a professional business I guess the tax incurred, CGT etc. would be different.

Do you agree on my take on the tax professional, is that how you understand it?  My knowledge comes from my understanding as explained to me by my accountant, I'm no expert but I'm surprised the OP was not queried as to whether it was his main income.