Sterling down the drain

groslard

From advice given by Sunday Driver around the start of 2006 I constructed a spread sheet of actual transfer values and used that as my exchange rate. I've never had cause to show this to the Impôts since but I can support the calculations with UK and French bank statements so I wouldn't expect any objections from them to me using my own rate.

Just another way of doing what you've already done.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WJT,

Property taxes and insurance in Florida are much more expensive than France.

For example in the Var, on a Euro 400k property you will pay property taxes in total around Euros 1,700 pa. Whereas in Florida, property taxes on a property of equivalent value you will pay around Euros 7 to 8,000 pa.

Logan,

The main thing to watch out if you are going to rent the property on a short term basis to holidaymakers, is to check you are buying in an area that permits this. Some areas of Florida restrict short term holiday rentals of houses, to protect the local hotel trade!

[quote user="Sprogster"]

Logan,

The main thing to watch out if you are going to rent the property on a short term basis to holidaymakers, is to check you are buying in an area that permits this. Some areas of Florida restrict short term holiday rentals of houses, to protect the local hotel trade!

[/quote]

Thank you Sprogster. Florida has a lot in common with the protectionist instincts of France and overheads do seem rather high which rather offsets the advantages of taking Euros. I'm rather going off the idea especially since I have quotes for long term medical insurance which are completely unaffordable.

Tram - Sterlings current weakness was sparked by the falling Dollar caused by sub-prime losses which had a knock on effect in UK. Europe has fared better and is not so exposed. Although the slow down will envelope the eurozone later this year. The Euros strength is deeply damaging long term.