tax habitation

fussy

last year we recieved two bills, one had on the top tax fonciere, and the other contribitions sociale,is this another name for tax habitation, because if not when do we get that one. both bills arrived in oct 2007  and were paid immediately.

Your contributions sociales are the tax which goes towards paying off the French national debt and is based (amongst other things, but basically this is it) upon unearned income - interest from savings etc.  I have had my tax d'hab bill (from memory towards the end of last year) - don't know about others. It is certainly a different bill and the majority get all three.

Odd that you have got 2 but not the third. I've dug mine out and it was dated 7th November, with a "pay up" date of 15/12 (although I've now opted for the monthly option).  It's pretty distinctive as it includes the TV license (which here costs almost as much as the tax d'hab!)  If you've recently moved, you could check to see if for some obscure reason it has gone to an old address in the UK. Whatever, I would nip down to the tax office and innocently ask why you haven't received yours yet - normally if you ask for a bill they are very understanding (well, mine are!)

I get both my taxe fonciere and taxe d'habitation separately and have to pay both by December so it's worth checking where the missing one is.

Thanks Coop for info on Contributions Soc.  Isthe National Debt ever going to get paid off?  Aren't the French borrowing more at the moment?

[quote user="Cathy"]

Isthe National Debt ever going to get paid off?  Aren't the French borrowing more at the moment?

[/quote][:D]  Especially not as some parts of it are not payable if you are not "a la charge" of the French health system.  There'll be a few Brits not paying so much from last Sunday!