Taxes Fonciere/d'habitation

cartref

Hi

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I moved here in September and as yet have not received any bills for taxe fonciere and d'habitation. Who issues these bills and can I find out how much mine will be and arrange monthly payments from January? If not when are they due? I can't remember seeing an amount for my house when I signed the compromis.

thanks

cartref

If you only purchased in September 2007, you only become responsible for the bills wef 1 January 2008.

Any responsibility for Tax Fonciere will have been settled via the Notaire.

The authorities will be in touch from August 2008, often via your old address in the UK. You may want to visit your nearest  Hotel des Impots to check the address they have on file .

The Taxe Foncier is usually paid by the seller for the year, but the Notaire often calculates the proportion you were due to pay and settles that with the seller.

On the other hand, the Taxe d'Habitation for the whole year is the responsibility of the person living in the house on the 1st January

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

If you only purchased in September 2007, you only become responsible for the bills wef 1 January 2008.

Any responsibility for Tax Fonciere will have been settled via the Notaire.

The authorities will be in touch from August 2008, often via your old address in the UK. You may want to visit your nearest  Hotel des Impots to check the address they have on file .

[/quote]

Give the Hotel des Impots your new French address and then drop a line to the poeple who live at your previous UK address and tell them to expect to have to forward at least one of the bills to you for the next 4 years.

You think I'm joking?

p

• 2 weeks later...

We've managed to get our heads round lots of things since moving over last August but these 2 taxes still have us a tad confused.

We completed our purchase at the end of January 07 so the Taxe d'habitaton was paid by the previous owner. Fair enough.

We expected and received a bill for a proportion of the Taxe Foncière from the previous owner in October no real problem their either.

The questions we are wrestling with are:

When are the bills sent out and exactly what period do the taxes relate to (we have not received anything yet for either tax).

Do they turn up automatically or are we supposed to go and ask for them.

It seems logical that they should just arrive as the property is still here with someone living in it just as it was last year and every year before that.

When are they due for payment.

I know this subject has been discussed innumerable times but a search for "d'Habitation" brings up 162 pages and "Fonciere" 70 (plus another 10 if you search for Foncière) which clearly indicates to me that we are not alone in being confused and I trust you'll excuse me for not reading through it all [:-))]

It surprises me somewhat that despite this I have never seen a simple summary of the subject explaining in a few succinct lines, such as the procedure for re-registering a car for instance. Seems an ideal topic for a sticky.