For those who have done it on line before.

Jackie

Apologies if this has been asked before. Are the on-line forms the same as the paper ones i.e. 2042, 2047? Will the system accept entries in Box TI as the calculator will not? Is there a 3916 to fill in? Can you write notes on the forms or elsewhere? Do they email an Avis D'Impot or send by post and am I right in thinking you have to pay on-line to get the 20 Euro reduction?.........................J

Yes the forms are all the same on the screen, althopugh they go page by page in smaller chunks.  You can choose the forms you want to fill in. You can only do it online from the second year (you probably already know that) and you have to register first.

You get an immediate receipt for the return but all subsequent avis etc are sent by post as usual to you.  We pay monthly by prelevement (sorry no accents) but I think you do have to pay online or similar if not doing this.

You can print off the information you have entered before pressing go!  We failed to do this last year and realised later that one item had not stayed in place (you can "save" as you go along). We filed a correction, also online and all was well.  We have done ours this year.  All boxes are present. The figures for box TI come from the red form 2047 and you can write words etc and fill in all the columns just as you would by hand.  We have never tried to "write" extra notes.

Hope this helps

H.

Edit: If by "calculator" you mean the simulation of your tax bill, then no you can't do that if you have foreign income but forms can still be completed as above.

You do know that you cannot do it on-line if this is your first tax return don't you? 

If its not, then just fill it in on-line as you did on paper before,  as others have said its exactly the same format plus you can get a estimate of tax and sociale charges due which should alert you to any major errors.[:)]

Ok well I have made the declaration on line and received the Accusé de reception which I assume means that the declaration has in fact taken place. It did not give me an estimate of the taxes I would be asked to pay and there was a message at some stage in the process saying that this was not possible due to the nature of the declaration. I don't know if that was because I included a couple of notes at the end of the 2042 or because I only included in box TL that part of our pensions before the E121 was in force about half way through 2007 and so the figure in TL did not agree with the sum of AS and BS. I included a note to explain this at the end of 2042. 

The form filling was straight forward other than the fact that on 2047 I am used to listing interest on three accounts in section 2B and then putting the total which goes into A and then TS. When selecting Royaume-Uni from the list it would only let me do this once and therefore there was no room to enter the three interests on three lines. I therefore entered the total of these three in column 5, Totaux, A and TS and I assume that it does not matter as TS on 2042 only contains the total. It seemed a bit strange that they only gave one line of boxes in 2B and the next line was for totals. You could only move the Royaume-Uni from the left panel to the right in the list of countries and not put it in the right hand list three times which is what I wanted to do. Did anyone else have this problem? 

I noticed that the amount given to charity in box UF section 7 on 2042 was shown against UF and UG in the Résumé you get at the end of the declaration. I went back to correct this and found it is not possible to enter anything in UG anyway so what is that all about?

At the top of the page it said 2042/2042C but there was no sign of 2042C. The only thing I have ever put on 2042C is tax paid on my teachers pension in the UK. This amount is reported on 2047 and in one of notes I put at the end of 2042 so I hope that the missing 2042C does not matter, any comments?

Finally if corrections have to be made after the submission of the forms on-line how do you go about it?

I note that I can look at the declaration on line. So now we wait for the Avis d'Impot, does anyone know when this is likely to be?..............................................................................J 

[quote user="Jackie"]

I note that I can look at the declaration on line. So now we wait for the Avis d'Impot, does anyone know when this is likely to be?..............................................................................J 

[/quote]

September .....I think.

Hi Jackie

Got the pm but the link to answer you does not work. So: we just went back in as if to do the declaration the first time and somewhere it asks if you want to "amend" the return as the computer knows you have done it once.  I seem to remember it made us go through all the forms again, not to add figures again but just to verify.

I find it odd that you could not enter the tax on your teachers pension, surely it goes in the same section as the salary but further along?  In another thread (re dividends) it says "you can get a 2042C by ticking a box in section 8".

H.

Great it all worked thank you and I could go through them again and make modifications like ticking box UU and entering tax paid in the UK in TA on 2042C. I notice when going to the impot gouv web site and looking at mon compte fiscal/mes documents all the ones I did yesterday are listed and the modified ones done today are shown as well in slightly heavier type. I don't know if I missed an option to delete the previous ones or not, should I have been able to do this or do they want to keep the evidence! Can you see your pre-correction ones on the site as well? .................................................J 

Yes as you go through the 2042/2042C there is a box at the bottom of the last page to tick which brings up 2042C a one page form which has TA but once done is listed separately in Mes Documents when you look at mon Compte Fiscal on the Impot Gouv site. I missed seeing it the first time round. I don't know why it keeps a copy of the pre-corrected forms as well as the corrected forms, perhaps someone will tell me..............................J 

PS Just had to do it a third time as found another minor error and again the pre-corrected copies have been retained! I think they will hate me and not give me the 20 Euros discount as I must be using up a lot of memory space in their computer!