Tax Relief for dependent in UK

Roz

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Life would be pretty dull if we never bickered and if some of us (I include myself) weren't a little self-opinionated at times.[/quote]

Yes just think what would happen if you lived in France and then posted that you don't like the Frogs, me I love them.......... lovely people!![:D]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Self employed people's expenses are subject to more scrutiny than early retired couples in France, begging receipts is more for getting money from petty cash than a tax return of a self employed person, but we digress.

It helps when asking questions relating to tax to give as much detail as is necessary to enable an informed answer, yet not once have you mentioned the age of your dependent son.

If you had mentioned that in the OP you would have got a quicker and more concise answer ....... although if you had said he was over 21 you may have also got some pointed comments but that is what Forums are like, you don't necessarily get the answer  you want.

I'm sure if somebody had said of course you can claim for the expense of a second home in the UK and keeping an unemployed 28 year old you would have been very pleased with the response.

Oh, and I'm sure you would wish to thank those who took the trouble to post informative replies to you.[:P]

[/quote]

Yes, Ron, I agree. Thank you and everyone else who posted information regarding my original question.  My son is over 21 - and, wow!  it looks like Clair has unearthed some really relevant stuff - thanks Clair!

From Clair's post.....

• Your child is registered unemployed:
If he is no longer a student, he can only be attached to your tax household if he is under the age of 21.

Beyond that age, you can only deduct the alimony you pay him.

From 2042 notes.......

Autres pensions alimentaires versées à des enfants majeurs

(cases EL et EM)

Déclarez cases EL et EM les versements spontanés, les pensions non

fixées et les pensions alimentaires versées en vertu d’une décision de

justice prononcée à compter du 1er janvier 2006.

Vous pouvez déduire les pensions alimentaires versées à vos enfants

majeurs auxquels vous devez venir en aide (à condition qu’ils ne

soient pas comptés à votre charge).

Si vous avez plus de deux enfants, indiquez dans le cadre

« Renseignements complémentaires », de votre déclaration n° 2042 ou

sur une note jointe, le montant de la pension versée à chaque enfant

à partir du troisième....

Thanks, is this still just for single parents? Might even be worth getting divorced! What a shame, just when we almost made it to 30 years! I wonder what is meant exactly by Alimony... an allowance? We don't actually give him the money to pay the utilities - even we're not that silly - we pay them by direct debit - [blink] oh dear, now even I think we sound silly...

alimony = pension alimentaire

As paid to a divorced spouse, but in this instance, paid to a child over 18.

You should really speak to the tax people about this, or call them for general advice on
0810 46 76 87 (in French)

8h - 22h Monday to Friday and 9h - 19h on Saturdays

Several posts in this thread have been deleted or edited by the moderators.

Please keep to the topic of the original thread and choose your words carefully when posting a message. It is difficult to obtain the tone of written messages unlike when speaking to someone.

Forum moderators.