Selling House in UK - CGT?

mr ploppy

Hi,

We've been living abroad (out of the UK) for a number of years, during which time our house in the UK has been let.  We've been living in rental accommodation and only own that one property.  We are considering moving to France and possibly selling our house in the UK to finance our move to France.  I'm pretty sure that if we sell our UK property then there'll be no Capital Gains Tax due in the UK.  But would there be any CGT due in France?

Thanks.

If you sell your UK property before becoming resident in France why would you pay CGT in France? Even if you are resident in France I don't think that at the moment you would have CGT to pay, maybe changing in the future.

Not quite sure of the real answer having read those posts, but also we have a slight change of plan.  For the time being, for reasons I won't bore you with, we will likely hold on to our house in the UK, and continue to let it out.

If we were to become resident in France, and sell the UK property in, say, 2 years' time, would the French claim CGT at that point?  Remember we have been outside the UK for many years and haven't lived in our UK property during that time.

Would it make a difference whether we rented or bought a house in France in the meantime.  If we buy then I guess the UK house would be treated as a second home.  Does the same apply if we rent in France?

Thanks for your help.