FD5 and Bank Accounts with a UK address?

Blossom

Assuming you are trying to claim it back from HMRC then you should have no problems.

In the unlikely event that you are thinking of showing a copy of your completed FD5 to a UK bank then they wouldn't have a clue what an FD5 is and if they don't allow you to have an account with them and not live in the UK tthen you are opening up a can of worms.

If this is going to be an annual event then there is another form which you can use. I think Ron Avery knows which one it is so hopefully he'll be along shortly.

[quote user="Benjamin"]
If this is going to be an annual event then there is another form which you can use. I think Ron Avery knows which one it is so hopefully he'll be along shortly.

[/quote]Sorry, I'm not Ron, but it's an R43  (the link to the form is at the bottom of the page and is year specific, so you need to use the correct form for each year.)

[quote user="Blossom"]Thank you for the helpful replies.

Am I right in thinking that when we submit our first French tax form (in May 2009), we use only the FD5 and then for subsequent years we use only the R43?
[/quote]Yup.  Got it in one.  But you only need the R43 to reclaim  your tax paid on interest etc if your bank won't pay it gross.  Income from pensions etc will be taxed in France unless or until you move back to the UK again once you've submitted the FD5.

So it was you peeking through the shutters the other night Benjie, pity you left your glasses at home if you think I am preserved like Deb, Mr Coops will be very, very dissapointed, mind you I'm working on the the man boobs with all this concrete mixing so perhaps an easy mistake to make [:P]

Back to the thread,  You can use the R43 form but if you have to do a self assessment to the UK still, that is an easier method of claiming back tax paid in the UK.  From an earlier posting.

"There are a couple of ways to get back tax paid in the UK. You can do an R43 or the easiest way, if you have to do one anyway and you have a non government pension, is to do it by a UK self assessment tax return in the year concerned.  Provided that that you have your pension paid gross in France, all you do is complete the assessment with the details of the tax deducted and interest paid, (you do NOT have to declare your French taxed pension).  Provided that the total income from savings is below your UK free pay, you get the tax paid refunded.  This is the method recommended by the HMRC centre for non-residents at Bootle".