Speculation against sterling

NormanH

Well surely it depends on which country you live in ? Grim it may well be for some but those of us who live in France and earn our living here may see this news as absolutely fantastic [8-|]

It is great to see our Euro going further when we spend in the Uk especially this Christmas. I can't wait for parity 1:1

thanks for the posting it makes so interesting reading.  So grateful that you think of others before you think of yourself.

I am sat here pondering how say 50+ years of hard work and like many others buying AVC's then getting hit by Equitable and then buying extra years on my pension be they 1/40th or whatever have helped.

My pension comes in the old fashioned £ format and when transferred to Euroland I have lost like others again a huge amount of available income and ask the question why.

We are going home for our love affair with France has gone and as I approach my maker I think I want to be somewhere else than France.

I feel sure you may although I am not sure will reflect upon your remarks especially when so many of those who you may count amongst your fellow countrymen and woman are suffering.

Enjoy yourself in UK at Christmas and enjoy spending the Euro.

What goes around comes around and your turn is next.

[quote user="Mutiara"]

Well surely it depends on which country you live in ? Grim it may well be for some but those of us who live in France and earn our living here may see this news as absolutely fantastic [8-|]

It is great to see our Euro going further when we spend in the Uk especially this Christmas. I can't wait for parity 1:1

[/quote]

Well, I'm really happy for you, especially as we too live in France, but now find ourselves in the 'Grim' camp with a UK pension,  as our sole income, paid in ever decreasing euros..

Have a nice Christmas.

I have travelled extensively through France for over forty years and have owned homes in a number of regions of France.  Thus a relatively long time resident who pay their taxes here and are in the system.

Thus and unlike the suggestion we are not transient either by nature or by our stay in France.  I am not sure how that compares with the posting which suggests we are transient? Indeed I am not sure if you stay is of long duration?

I will not go into the detail here of our decision to move back for that is not the point of the exercise.  However they are multiple including their being the French approach to animal cruelty and family needs in the UK and of course my profession in the law.

Hope that helps you

Hi Puzzled no it is not insensitive and I did not either view it or take it as being insensitive.

For our part we bought at 1.675 to the pound made profit in Normandie  and then moved to other regions and where our original nest egg has been the sole financial basis for the various purchases.  So yes if and it is a huge if we can find a buyer we take back lots more £.  Then our investment in a  house in the UK has also gone down!

Another consideration and I really do not wish to hijack this posting is that I do not have children and my wife does from a previous marriage.  I do not want to be the last one around and when the Fifth Republic takes 60% of the value here and it goes down my line!

So overall there are compelling reasons for going back but the posting by another as to parity just got to me!

That was insensitive and ok grown man been there scenario should be able to take it but if the argument had been thought through then the posting would not have been made.  It is interesting that no defence has been forthcoming.