lettre de rappel

Iain T

We've just received a lettre de Rappel for our taxe fonciere - we were about three days late in paying it, but there was no mention at the tresorie - would this be an attempt to fine us after the fact or is it more likely to be a fine as if we have not paid - unfortunately my french isn't good enough to fully decipher the form - they are asking 10% of the taxe i.e 88 euros as our fonciere was 877.

Thanks for any help

[quote user="Iain T"]We've just received a lettre de Rappel for our taxe fonciere - we were about three days late in paying it  [/quote]

Aaah the dreaded 10% surcharge for late payment; bad luck as it can happen to the best of us ...

[quote user="Iain T"] ... but there was no mention at the tresorie [/quote]

It doesn't work like that as they would expect you to know that you were late in paying and to know the consequences. In France you do have to ask, information is rarely volunteered.

Sue

[quote user="Iain T"]We've just received a lettre de Rappel for our taxe fonciere - we were about three days late in paying it, but there was no mention at the tresorie - would this be an attempt to fine us after the fact or is it more likely to be a fine as if we have not paid - unfortunately my french isn't good enough to fully decipher the form - they are asking 10% of the taxe i.e 88 euros as our fonciere was 877.

Thanks for any help[/quote]

Hi,

A "Lettre de Rappel" is, as the name implies, a reminder. It may well be saying that if you do not pay within a specified period , " 30 jours" or " une quinzaine"(--fortnight), then you will incur a 10% surcharge. Find somebody who can read it for you ,or if thats not possible,post the main part of the letter here.

It may well have been already on its way, when you paid.