What info do I need to work out my tax ....

Judith

From FAQs

Q  I receive interest on savings that I have in the UK, do I need to declare this on my French tax return?

A     Yes. For interest from savings in the UK, or anywhere else in the world outside France.  As you'll have gathered by now, start by entering your gross interest on form 2047, section IV. REVENUS DES VALEURS ET CAPITAUX MOBILIERS ET REVENUS ASSIMILÉS  2 - REVENUS DES VALEURS MOBILIÈRES ÉTRANGÈRES ET REVENUS ASSIMILÉS. 

Put the gross figure in Column 5 under Royaume Uni, then transfer the total across to box TS on the form 2042.

I think what might be confusing people is that there appears to be two 2047 form formats, 2047 and 2047K.  On the 2047K form there is no separate column for Royaume-uni in Section 2  You have to write the country in column 1 of the table in section 2 B

Although therer is a table on page 3 to calaculate the total to enter in Column 5 under "interets" for different countries,   "Montant net encasse en euros" for UK derived income no calculation is necessary and you then take that total to box TS.

There is only one 2047 declaration.  The K is the version pre-rempli - in other words, it has your name and address pre-printed at the top of the first page so you don't have to write it in yourself.  If it's your first time, you won't get a pre-rempli version.

Neither of the versions has a separate column for Royaume-Uni because the form is not specific to UK expats.  The column headed 'Pays d'Emission des Valeurs' gives a clue......

Disregarding what the forms themselves say (if you don't understand French or 'technical' tax terms) here's how you would declare 500 euros bank interest by simply following the instructions given in the tax FAQ:

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w4/r850r/2047.jpg[/IMG]

Now transfer this figure to box TS on the 2042:

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w4/r850r/2042.jpg[/IMG]

Not a lot of complicated stuff there.......[;-)]

Judith

I can't sing and I can't dance (except after I've had a drink but that's just a boy thing [:D]), but figures don't faze me, but I can well understand what you're going through if you just don't feel happy with a French tax form for the first time. Rest assured that next year it will all be a doddle! [8-|]

Can I offer a little tip to aid next years' forms which you ought to start doing as soon as you've got this years' out of the way?

Take a blank piece of paper (or a spreadsheet if you like). Working across the page from left to right and leaving the first column free for a date to be entered put each source of income e g Private Pension, State Pension, Gross Bank Interest, Dividends etc etc as a separate column heading.

Every time you receive some income put the gross amount under the appropriate column, making a note on the far left of the date you received it. At the end of December total each column and wait for the annual discussion (argument) on the forum on which £/€ conversion rate to use. It's done without reference to bank statements so long as you bank on line and do it as the year progresses and don't leave everything until the start of next year.

Because I calculate my own conversion rate and without wishing to be boastful I could submit my return on the 1st January. [:P]

Now all I need are some singing and dancing lessons.  [6]

Bon courage

Judith - as Benjamin says, next year it will be a doddle. As long as you keep a copy of this years forms.

The trouble with all tax forms, in whatever language, is that most of it doesn't apply to you, and can be disregarded. The secret is to work out which bits DO apply to you, and remember them.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Judith

I can't sing and I can't dance (except after I've had a drink but that's just a boy thing [:D]), but figures don't faze me, but I can well understand what you're going through if you just don't feel happy with a French tax form for the first time. Rest assured that next year it will all be a doddle! [8-|]

Can I offer a little tip to aid next years' forms which you ought to start doing as soon as you've got this years' out of the way?

Take a blank piece of paper (or a spreadsheet if you like). Working across the page from left to right and leaving the first column free for a date to be entered put each source of income e g Private Pension, State Pension, Gross Bank Interest, Dividends etc etc as a separate column heading.

Every time you receive some income put the gross amount under the appropriate column, making a note on the far left of the date you received it. At the end of December total each column and wait for the annual discussion (argument) on the forum on which £/€ conversion rate to use. It's done without reference to bank statements so long as you bank on line and do it as the year progresses and don't leave everything until the start of next year.

Because I calculate my own conversion rate and without wishing to be boastful I could submit my return on the 1st January. [:P]

Now all I need are some singing and dancing lessons.  [6]

Bon courage

[/quote]

Benjamin - you will find you can sing and dance, if you have the right teacher!  I can do both of those .....  but not much use here ...  ha, ha!

But the forms copied in by teacher SD (thanks) finally helped me to find the right place on the form (and yes, now I've found it, it is simple to see where I was going wrong, (didn't see that there were two tables (I did say the colour was difficult for me) nor realise just which bit was relevant for me. )

I do like your tip, and I will aim to follow it and yes, I have resolved now to get it straight next year. 

However, for now, I have copied what was done last year (even if it is incorrect, it is a return), adding in my small pension, to the figures for OH already "remppli", likewise with the interest for accounts here.  In the end, I decide to ignore the very small interest from the UK account (all of about £30 if that) as I cannot be sure what it is, and I over calculated on the pension income as we do not have all the P60s for OH yet.  I used the sterling figures - the rate is so similar now it hardly matters, so though not entirely accurate, I believe the amount declared is as near as it can be for the incomplete info we have at present.

So, all it remains now is for OH to sign it (it seems he can't delegate that job) then copy it (for security) and then post.  Whether it is right or wrong it is now done.  Thank goodness.

[quote user="Patf"]

Judith - as Benjamin says, next year it will be a doddle. As long as you keep a copy of this years forms.

The trouble with all tax forms, in whatever language, is that most of it doesn't apply to you, and can be disregarded. The secret is to work out which bits DO apply to you, and remember them.

[/quote]

Pat,

So true.  I wonder how long it will be before the French do what HMRC did some years ago, and actually design simplified forms for those  who affairs are straighforward??? 

You have hit the nail on the head, along with lack of comprehension, I really did not know which bits did apply to me.  I am going to get the dictionary out over the summer and translate the forms - and then I will be better informed about all the relevant as well as the irrelevant bits!