Something scratching around in the walls!

We have a new build (finished 10 months ago) and the house is grey block with "Kingspan" type insulation on the roof and walls and finished with plasterboard - therefore I assume no cavity.  Recently we have been troubled by a terrible scratching sound coming from our bedroom walls - if you put your ear to the wall it sounds as though the creature is munching!  We think the only place anything could get into the house would be via the roof tiles but how would they be getting into the wall itself?  We purchased some mouse and rat traps and put them around the outside of the house and placed some poison in dishes aswell but because we don't actualy have a roof space over this part of the house (the beams go right up to the roof itself) it is difficult to know where else to place them. 

So far we have caught nothing but the awful noise continues.  Is it likely to be a mouse or a rat?  We have quite a few lizards in the garden but not sure if they are classed as pests?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

I get this problem every now and then. I remove a few electrical sockets and light switches and drop some sachets of poison into the gaps behind them, then refit them. This sorts them out in a day or two.

The poison I use is wee sachets about an inch square that contain a red paste that smells like marzipan - very effective, and it contans a dessicant that dries the animal corpse out so you are not left with a rotten, stinking dead animal in the wall

We purchased some mouse and rat traps and put them around the outside of the house and placed some poison in dishes as well...

I really do hope you stop that practice, it's appalling putting poisons and traps outside, you have no idea what else you are going to harm.

Seriously, think about it.

Chris

We had the same problem the winter before last, we have 3 cats!!! We invested in ultrasonic repellers that feed into the electrical circuit (not the €25 ultrasound jobbies from the brico depot)! We got them on an internet from a site in the US at £35 each. Since then we have not had any rodents in the house, the cats love it as they can now sleep all day. [:D][:D]

If you pm me I will give site details.

Regards.

Charlie.  

Lots of posts relating to loir which are very common in parts of France. See http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1647390/ShowPost.aspx

Can I support comments by Chris and Odile re poison. I won't use it out of respect to cats and dogs and owls etc.  Any of these could be badly affected if they eat the poison or a loir, mouse or whatever that has just eaten poison. Two section humane rat trap with a falling door between the sections works well when baited with apple for loir. Once you have caught the little blighter it really is no big deal to drive a few ks and let it go in some woodland area, that is what we do. Ultrasonics seem to deter them as we have only caught, and released, one this year so far. Has been up to 25 in years past before we started using ultrasound. Nobody should need to use poison...............................JR 

Hello Steve,

I tried PM'ing you but for some reason it didn't work so here goes! The website is goodlife.com, this is not an ad & I don't have any connection with it other than I did get good service from it. The repellars work and are humain. I hope this is of use as the situation can be pretty depressing.

Regards.

Charlie.