True number of french public employees

parsnips

Hi,

Some time ago there was a thread about the numbers of public employees in France and the UK, in which I was advised to do some more research. Trying to find reliable figures for France has taken so long, I cannot trace the original thread, so I've started this.

I eventually found a very thorough report by IFRAP which takes into account all the public , and quasi-public employees, many of which are routinely omitted from the official statistics in order to hide the true costs to the taxpayer.

I tried to reproduce the full report, but failed (due to my inadequate computer skills); the full report is at htpp://www.ifrap.org/Les-effectifs-de -la- Fonction-Publique-n-ont-cesse-d-augmenter......

The figures are for 1998--- the most recent I could find!

To summarise; IFRAP lists the published total of public employees which ,in that year was for Ministeres civils, defense,EPN,regions,departements,communes,etc.(FPT),Hopitaux(FPH)......................4 887 430

They then add in the "lost" employees ,who may not be "fonctionnaires" as such ,but are paid out of public funds (ie Taxes)

Enseignants de privé sous contrat,Entreprise publique à monopoles(like La Poste), CCI,CRCI, chambres d'agriculture, chambres des métiers,Hopitaux privés participants au service public,CES,CEC,Emplois jeunes.......1 352 784

Grand Total.....................................6 240 214

This was in 1998, does anyone beleive that it is not a great deal higher now?

Thank you Dog.

For the USA it appears to be as follows:

The current ratio is 22 million government employed / 136 million total employed  = 16.2%.

The federal government employs about 2.7 million people.

State governments employ about 5 million people.

Local governments employ about 14 million people.

According to Moneyweek in 2005, the UK had some 75% of the working population in employment  - more than any other developed country (63% in France).

The UK had some 6.6m employed in the public sector, currently some 40% of the working population assuming a rate 22.4 % in 1998 and a 2% rise each year since then.

The private sector in the UK now supports an unprecedented number of workers who are paid from taxes.  Every three private sector workers pay for two public sector workers.  Surely this is not sustainable.

So glad I sold my small business in the UK - the tax and administrative burden did not warrant all the risk, hard work and diminishing return.  I despair ...

Does anyone have a copy of Boris Johnson's book, 'Dream of Rome'?  I remember that, in it, he details the number of bureaucrats in the Roman empire compared to the number in the European Union. 

I've been trying to search for the numbers on the internet to share with you but can't find them.