Stoopid question but ...

Lambkin

I've just read your FAQs on tax etc, so that I will know what to do when the time comes. But, if I have understood right, for France you declare the interest paid on UK savings from Jan - Dec. But, UK banks send out their interest statements in April for the tax year April-March. Um, derrrr .....

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/images/emotions/confused.gif

Very helpful FAQ sheet though, thanks for providing that.

It's one of the mega-pains of the marriage of the two systems.  However, you pay the tax in France when you receive the money - thus if the interest is credited to your UK account at the end of December (as it is the case of my own Nationwide account) thus you can declare it in France in that year, even though  the actual statement doesn't turn up from the UK until April.  If your bank credits your account after the end of the year, however, then you declare it as the following year's income.  Hope that makes sense but anyway somebody better at this will no doubt pop up before too long if not!

Thank-u Cooperlola. So in fact, if I moved here in October, and I don't get any interest credited between Oct and Dec (it's an ISA I have and interest is credited at the end of the tax year i.e. April) I don't have to declare any at all this year? Yippee!

Seeing as you got you answer can i hijack your thread and ask another reallt stoooopid question (no point littering the place).

Just filled out the Taxes Foncieres online and have been sent a "adhésion au télérèglement" to send to my bank. along with a RIB. Am i missing something here ? Is a RIB not just my bank details Code établissement/Code guichet/Numéro de compte/IBAN...etc . That the bank should already know my details?

Now hows that for a dumb question. ( And my first post)