converting a barn to a house

Patf

A neighbour (english) has got planning permission to build a barn, which is now constructed, a woodframe kit arrangement, very big and high.

He believes that after a year he can convert this barn into a 2 storey, 4 bedroom house. Without obtaining any further permits. Is he right?

What about a C.U.? Architect's plans for over 170sq.m.?

I believe from reading postings on "The other site" that quite a few people have bought a barn thinking they can just turn it into a habitation and quite a few have ended up with a barn after having permission refused. Best not to just take an Immo's or friends word but check with the Mairie or Notaire first.

Regards.

I've just had a chat with our neighbours, not intending to be nosey (but I am really) just warning them that they might need at least architect's plans. We once had a permis rejected  by the DDE, to convert part of our barn into living accomodation, because the plans weren't drawn up by a french architect.

They seem to think that they have been given the nod from the deputy Maire (who is another close neighbour) and the DDE. With certain conditions.

If I'd known that the structure was going to be so huge I might have put in an objection to their application.  If that would have had any effect.

We have been trying to sell our house and a few viewers have asked if there's likely to be any new building nearby.

I'm still not happy about having a large new house in our view. Which I've told them, but don't want to fall out over it. We'll get used to it, I suppose.

Maires' come and Maires' go so that's not much to go on. Inlaws had "the nod" on building a new house on their land from a Maire not the deputy and as their reign ended so did the nod. The DDE have the say and ask the Maire's opinion not the other way round from my understanding.

What I do like about France is the way they do not behave like Spain and allow building work only to insist it's ripped down again afterwards making families homeless.

J.R. - I think I would prefer it to remain as a barn. They say they are planning a gite complex.[blink]

But I found out another angle on this - evidently a barn is regarded as an agricultural building, and in order to get permission to buid one you have to register as an agriculteur. Which means having a certain amount of land, and paying various dues. This neighbour has hinted to someone else that he intends to buy more land and register.

OR you can start with a minimum size barn or large shed, (? 120 sq m) and add onto it in increments over the next few years. This avoids having to register.

This is what I read on another forum - may not be accurate.

[quote user="Patf"]

I've just had a chat with our neighbours, not intending to be nosey (but I am really) just warning them that they might need at least architect's plans. We once had a permis rejected  by the DDE, to convert part of our barn into living accomodation, because the plans weren't drawn up by a french architect.

They seem to think that they have been given the nod from the deputy Maire (who is another close neighbour) and the DDE. With certain conditions.

Well surely the DDE have to approve these things, these days a nod from the Maire is not usually enough. What about sanitation

and electrical supply to the barn, they will need to have this for any sort of

change to habitation. Would the "make-over"  involve change of facade?

If I'd known that the structure was going to be so huge I might have put in an objection to their application.  If that would have had any effect.

We have been trying to sell our house and a few viewers have asked if there's likely to be any new building nearby.

I'm still not happy about having a large new house in our view. Which I've told them, but don't want to fall out over it. We'll get used to it, I suppose.

You have my sympathy, good luck be with you.

[/quote]