when does tax bill arrive?

chirpy

[quote user="Judie"][quote user="Gardian"]

As a result of seeing Gardener's post, I too had a look and .............. it's there.  A nice rebate coming my way too (installation of new windows, so an offset vs tax due).

What amazes me is that there was no demand for documentary evidence of the offset claim. (I filed online). I've got it & it's all genuine, but nonetheless.  I can only guess that they accept below a certain threshold and check a proportion of claims.

[/quote]

Beware of becoming too complacent!! [/quote]

Not complacent Judie: just surprised.

I've got all the documentation though & I'm happy that it's all OK. I suspect that (as with most tax authorities), they'll check out 10% or so of the 'small fry' like me and concentrate their efforts on others, where there may be greater 'opportunity'.

From my working experience (and I suspect that of most who read this), it's those who overclaim / do it too often, who get caught out. The Impots aren't completely stupid - far from it, in fact.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Not complacent Judie: just surprised.

I've got all the documentation though & I'm happy that it's all OK. I suspect that (as with most tax authorities), they'll check out 10% or so of the 'small fry' like me and concentrate their efforts on others, where there may be greater 'opportunity'.

From my working experience (and I suspect that of most who read this), it's those who overclaim / do it too often, who get caught out. The Impots aren't completely stupid - far from it, in fact.

[/quote]

Just to set the record straight, Judie didn't get 'caught out'. She ended up with nothing extra to pay after les impôts were reluctantly forced to accept the tax return was completely legitimate. But in order to get to that stage, we had to justify far more - including UK income/outgoings - than the business kilometres which were the basis of the query. As she worked for HMRC's predecessor before moving to France there is no way she would be tempted to overclaim or do it too often. The whole investigation experience was highly unpleasant, to put it mildly. To be treated like criminals for several months is not the 'better quality of life' that most people come to France to enjoy.

The avis for 2008, the subject of the investigation, was not received until well after the due date. I am just hoping that having scored a victory last time we aren't marked down for a further investigation. No "big fat zeros" on our household avis d'impositions, even though we probably have lower income than many of you others.