Habitation Tax

Tia

Is the bill we are paying this dec for this year ? We have our house up for sale so if we were to empty it soon we wouldnt have to pay next year ? What happens if we sell it say in May next year would we still have to pay for the full year next Dec even if it isnt ours

[quote user="PaulT"]

Think you will find you have to pay this even if you never use the house - the criteria being that it has furniture in it on 1st Jan.

Paul

[/quote]

Paul, is that a fact?  Best empty the chateau of all furniture then.  What'll I do about the ormulu clock that Wooly eyes so covetously and do swans in the moat count as furniture?

I had my Taxe d'habitation bill this morning, on which they say THEY are paying ME 101 euros!

I thought this was a bit odd, as they take a regular amount from my account, so presumably had the calculation worked out.

Closer inspection reveals, under

"Montant de la contribution a l'audiovisuel public due en 2010"

the remark

"Compte tenu de votre declaration ou de votre situation, vous n'avez pas de contribution a payer pour cette habitation" !!

I have never declared anything, as I do have a French TV, and they have been happily helping themselves to the licence fee for years. So I have no idea on what grounds they have decided to be so generous. ;-)

[SIGH] I suppose I shall have to call them and 'fess up...

Angela

Up to you but I wouldnt, you havnt made a false declaration and I would go on the second part, taking into account your situation..........

I was in the hôtel des impôts recently trying to convince than to reduce my tax d'habitation by 80% again like they did after getting fed up with me last year, I think I got lucky and am waiting in hope but not once during the long discussions I had with the clerk and her responsable did they ask "why did we reduce it last year?" or "do your circumstances remain the same?" or "I see that you are not paying the redevance audiovisuelle, is it still the case that you do not have a television?"

It would appear that with the right bit of paper and/or the right signature doors open automatically in France. 

This morning I phoned the number given, and got a very bolshy woman. That must be a special requirement, for working in any offices to do with tax; it reminded me of the runaraound I got when trying to obtain a carte de sejour in Paris in the 1960s. I am glad I was not asking her to do me a favour; I think she may have reduced even you, Wooly, to a mashed banana...

With very poor grace, she eventually found my name in their records, but disclaimed any knowledge of/responsibility for the detail.

So maybe I shall get to keep the cash after all. :-))

Angela

I still cannot give back the taxe d'hab they reimbursed us last year, they will not have it and it is not right.

I spoke to an impots office today about our taxes and they were sweet as pie, could only have been more helpful if they had understood what I was talking about. Still in the end, I got the answer I wanted from them, which is pretty good.

I later found an email address on the form, so tried making contact with that - and immediately received a charming reply from somebody to say that they did indeed need to reimburse me as the tax d'hab rate for 2010 had been lower than they had allowed for. She admitted that there had been an oversight on the TV licence, and that: "Suite à une erreur de service, cette année la contribution audiovisuelle n'apparait pas sur le même avis que votre taxe d'habitation", so they are going to send me a one-off TV bill to pay.

Ironically, I think by my next visit I shall have NO television, as the digital switchover will have completely kicked in. I had a 7-month reprieve, as I was using a dish rather than a "rateau", but will have to do something about it after 31 Dec.

Angela

[quote user="woolybanana"]recipes for roast swan anyone?[/quote]

First skin the Swan, Take it and split it between the shoulders, cut it along the stomach: then take off the skin from the neck, cut at the shoulders, holding the body by the feet; then put it on the spit, and skewer it and gild it. And when it is cooked, it must be reclothed in its skin, and let the neck be nice and straight or flat; and let it be eaten with yellow pepper.

I look forward to sampling this delicacy at your house warming.[:D]